Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Product: May Lindstrom Skin : The Blue Cocoon Beauty Balm
Price: $160.00 USD/ $205 CAD
My rating: 9/10
About the Brand
May Lindstrom Skin is the epitome of luxury organic skin care. Her products are pure, effective and high-quality. She has dedicated her skin care line to the ritual of self-care.
As May Lindstrom says:
These treats were born out of a desire to create blissful bookends in my day, a time-out morning and night that was just for me.
This skin care line is more than just skin care, it is a daily indulgence, a ceremonial pampering. Every ingredient serves a purpose in this hand-blended skin care. Each ingredient is sourced in a sustainable and ethical way.
I bought a sample of The Blue Cocoon with my last organic beauty splurge. I wanted to test out a product that I had heard a lot about. May’s products have a cult following, and I wanted to get in on the action. I am so very glad I did.
The smell. Oh. My. Goodness. The smell. This stuff smells AMAZING! I love to just open my little sample package and take a big long whiff.
The scent is heavenly, it is calming and uplifting. It smells sweet, with a hint of vanilla and cocoa. I could literally smell this aroma all day and not tire of it. I would bottle this scent and wear it as a perfume. Delicious.
The Blue Cocoon is actually a balm, it is solid in the jar, but melts with the heat of your skin. It spreads easily and absorbs nicely. The scent lingers – which I love because the smell is so soothing.
Works On Eczema
I used this balm on a patch of eczema on my 8-year-old daughters leg. She was complaining that her skin was itchy. Her little patch of eczema was dry and irritated.
I applied a small amount of The Blue Cocoon on it. It soothed her itching and the next morning her patch looked much more hydrated and not red at all, I was impressed at how much better it looked. This balm is great for irritated skin.
I would use this balm on any dry or irritated skin that my family or I was dealing with.
Using it on my Face
I have used this on my face a couple of times. I love the smell and it feels nice on my skin. It absorbs well. You only need a tiny bit to hydrate your whole face.
I am a little concerned that this product will clog my pores and lead to breakouts because it contains cocoa butter, which is high on the comedogenic scale.
* Camellia Oleifera (Camellia) Seed Oil, *** Butyrospermun Parkii (Shea) Butter, *** Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter, *** Sclerocarya Birrea (Virgin Marula) Oil, Calodendrum Capense (Yangu) Oil, * Adansonia Digitata (Baobab) Oil, * Tanacetum Annuum (Blue Tansy) Oil, **Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Oil, * Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, ** Boswellia Carteri (Frankincense) Oil, * Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium Rose) Oil, * Vanilla Planifolia CO2 Total Essential Oil, Schisandra Sphenanthera CO2 Fruit Extract, * Helichrysum Italicum (Immortelle) Oil, Ravensara Aromatica Oil.
* Certified Organic ** Wild Harvested *** Fair Trade, Raw & Unrefined
About the Ingredients
- Camellia Seed Oil – absorbs quickly into the skin, this oil is loaded with antioxidants and skinhealing properties. It is highly moisturizing and nourishing to the skin.
- Shea Butter – naturally rich in Vitamins A, E, and F, it is soothing and anti-inflammatory. Shea Butter offers a low level of UV protection (SPF-6).
- Cocao Seed Butter – deeply hydrating and protecting.
- Marula Oil – highly moisturizing, it help’s to reduce redness and heal damaged tissue.
- Yangu Oil – moisturizes as well as protects against UV rays. Heals dry, damaged skin.
- Blue Tansy Oil – one of the most powerful anti-histaminic (anti-allergy) and anti-inflammatory oils available. It works wonders on inflamed and reactive skin. The scent is extremely calming, soothing the mind and grounding the body.
- Myrrh, Lavender, and Frankincense – Contribute to the lovely fragrance while also supporting skin regeneration.
Scent, Texture, and Application
A lovely warm, sweet and floral scent, with a hint of chocolate. Truly invigorates the senses and calms the mind. The texture is silky smooth, almost like coconut oil. Melts as you apply.
Can it be Used on Acne?
The Blue Cocoon Beauty Balm is supposed to be great for people suffering from acne and other inflammatory skin concerns, but it worries me that some of the ingredients are high on the comedogenic scale (mainly cocoa butter). Shea butter is non-comedogenic, but the cocoa butter is high on the scale.
On May’s website, she has some frequently asked questions about using The Blue Cocoon on acne-prone skin. She says that it is a great balm to use on all skin types, even very sensitive and breakout-prone skin. This balm would soothe the redness and irritation associated with acne.
Here is a screenshot from May’s website (click the image to see it bigger):
Can it be Used on Eczema, Rosacea, Psoriasis, and Dermatitis?
This balm is formulated with all skin types in mind, especially over-stressed, highly-reactive skin. It cools and soothes.
Blue Tansy oil is the star ingredient here. With its anti-histaminic properties, it helps reduce the swelling and itching associated with an allergic response.
What are Other People Saying?
What is the Cost?
USA- $160 for 1.60 oz
Canada – $205 for 1.60 oz
I was curious about the actual cost of this product per application. I figured if you used a pea-sized amount on your skin once a day, and the product lasted you 6 months ( a conservative estimate), your cost would be about $1 per application – a small investment for such an amazing product.
How Long Will it Last?
A little goes a long way, a tub should last you a year. The ingredients are kept potent by being packaged in dark violet glass.
I would recommend this to anyone who has sensitive or reactive skin, it really helped my daughters itchy and dry eczema. This balm is soothing and hydrating – making it perfect for a skin concern like eczema.
The Blue Cocoon is a sensual treat for your skin.
If you want to use a product that is free from damaging chemicals and you want to indulge in your own self-care, this balm is for you. May Lindstrom has created a stunning line of skin care that truly makes you feel like a queen.
This product offers skin-soothing properties as well as anti-aging benefits. It worked well on my daughter’s eczema and I would love to have a tub of The Blue Cocoon around for use on patches of irritated or dry skin, the relief and hydration it brings are unparalleled.
The scent is intoxicating, calming, uplifting, and soothing. I love knowing that I am pampering my skin with pure, potent plant extracts. I am worth it, my skin is worth it.
The packaging for the full-size product is dark glass, giving the delicate plant extracts protection from light. I appreciate companies who understand the importance of dark glass packaging when it comes to plant extracts. The last thing I want to do is spend money on a product that will degrade because of light getting into the packaging.
Where Can You Get it?
May Lindstom’s products are only available at select retailers. I personally recommend getting yours from one of the links below, these are online stores that take pride in stocking only potent, pure products, and they take care to keep products fresh.Get Your Skin Treat Now
Any questions? Leave them in the comments below.
Yours In Beauty,
p.s this post contains affiliate links, this review is based on a sample I purchased.