Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Exfoliating the skin is an important step in your skincare that a lot of us do not take advantage of. There are many good reasons to exfoliate:
- Deep cleans the skin.
- Removes dead skin and debris.
- Brightens dull skin.
- Improves cell turnover.
- It helps prevent wrinkles and fine lines.
- It helps prevent acne and oil build-up.
- Prepares skin for nourishing skincare.
There are different types of exfoliation – physical and chemical. If you don’t know the difference, you might want to head over to this article to learn more.
Using the best organic exfoliants for your skin type is going to be much more effective than a mainstream toxic product.
When we use chemical-based formulas we prevent the skin from being nourished, they also tend to strip the skin rather than rejuvenate and replenish it.
Most people think an exfoliant should resurface the skin without putting anything back into it. This is simply not effective. Our exfoliants should be removing dead skin and buildup, while also providing the skin with nutrients. Exfoliated skin is at its best to receive them.
The best organic exfoliants are going to:
- Replenish the skin of nutrients.
- Nourish with healing ingredients.
With no further ado, here are our favorite organic exfoliates for every skin type:
Best Organic Exfoliant for Dry/Mature Skin
We love The Clean Dirt by May Lindstrom as the best organic exfoliant for Dry/Mature skin.
The ultimate skin-transformer—this powder-to-mousse formula smells like a warm, decadently spiced cookie—and delivers brightening and exfoliating results that are just as sweet. Activated by water, it gently sloughs off dull skin, hydrates, tones, and purifies to reveal a remarkably soft and clear complexion. Powered by detoxifying white halloysite clay, blemish-fighting clove, soothing rose, and warming ginger, this exquisite sensory experience leaves all skin complexions glowing.
White Halloysite Clay, Red Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, Red Alaea Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Sodium Bicarbonate, *Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, *Rosa Centifolia (Pink Rose), *Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Flower, *Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (Cinnamon), * Myristica Fragans (Nutmeg), *Syzygium Aromaticum (Clove), *Curcuma Longa (Turmeric), *Zingiber Officinale (Ginger), *Vanilla Planifolia Bean, **Theobroma Cacao (Raw Cacao) *Certified Organic **Fair Trade Certified
- Used as a daily-microdermabrasion, this cocktail of clay is full of nutrient-rich minerals and vitamins.
- Dry and mature skin needs hydration, minerals, and vitamin c to smooth out fine lines.
- Daily surface stimulation will increase cell turnover and plump the skin.
- Clay and salt will decrease pores and bring hydration back to the skin.
Read my May Lindstrom – The Clean Dirt Review
Shop it at The Detox Market
The Best Organic Exfoliant for Sensitive Skin
We love Dandelion Face Grains by Aster & Bay as the best organic exfoliant for sensitive skin types.
Dandelion Face Grains from Aster + Bay is a blend of delicate botanical exfoliants chosen for their unique anti-inflammatory and skin-soothing properties. Made with clays, resins, roots, flowers, and grains. The star of this exfoliating powder, dandelion root is packed with vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent treatment for drawing toxins, soothing inflammation, eliminating blemishes, and brightening dark spots.
Moroccan lava clay, Phaseolus angularis (Adzuki) bean powder, Avena sativa (Oat) kernal flour*, Oryza sativa (Rice) flour*, Taraxacum officinale (Dandelion) root*, Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice) root*, Hibiscus rosa sinensis linn (Hibiscus) petal, Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) root powder*, Foeniculum vulgare (Fennel) seed*, Curcuma longa (Turmeric) root powder*, Botswellia carterii (Frankincense) powder**, Commiphora myrrha (Myrrh) powder**. *organic, **wild harvested
- It contains a blend of delicate botanical exfoliants chosen for their unique anti-inflammatory and skin-soothing properties.
- The star of this exfoliating powder, dandelion root, is packed with vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent treatment for drawing out toxins, soothing inflammation, eliminating blemishes and brightening dark spots
- Made with clays, resins, roots, flowers, and grains, sensitive skin will find great relief with this exfoliant.
- Blend Dandelion Face Grains with herbal teas, aloe vera, milk, or yogurt for an even more calming and nourishing treatment.
Shop it at Integrity Botanicals
Best Organic Exfoliant For Acne/Oily Skin
We love Josh Rosebrook’s Active Enzyme Exfoliator Scrub as the best exfoliant for acne-prone and oily skin types.
They say teamwork makes the dream work—and that’s certainly the case with this dual-action exfoliator that relies on physical and enzyme exfoliation to reveal a luminous, baby-smooth complexion. Walnut shells slough off dull skin, while papaya enzymes go deep down to unveil a fresh, radiant glow. Antioxidant-rich botanicals like turmeric and elderberry combine with raw honey to quench skin with replenishing hydration.
*Honey, *Vegetable Glycerin, *Avocado Oil, *Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, *Neem, *Echinacea, *Eyebright, *Fennel, *Yucca, *Sage, *Stevia, *Jojoba Oil, *Papaya Enzyme, Walnut shells, *Gum Arabic, *Guar Gum, *Sunflower Oil, *Evening Primrose Oil, *Turmeric, *Chamomile, *Calendula, *Elderberry, *Hawthorn Berry, *Alfalfa, *Ashwagandha, *Goji Berry, *Beetroot, *Bilberry, *Black Cohosh, *Rosemary, *Dandelion, *Fo ti Root, *Rose Hips, *Licorice, *Chickweed, *Horse Chestnut, *St. John’s Wort, *Coriander, *Burdock, *Thyme, *Lavender, *Olive leaf, *Raspberry leaf, *Red Clover, §Xanthan Gum, Water, *Soy Lecithin, †Lemon Essential Oil, †Cypress Essential Oil, †Fennel Essential Oil, †Bergamot Essential Oil, †Lime Essential Oil, Potassium Sorbate. *Certified Organic †Organic
- Packed with healing enzymes from honey and papaya, these ingredients draw toxins and impurities out of the skin. Both are antibacterial, fighting acne-causing bacteria.
- Neem oil and yucca root have amazing healing properties, calming redness and irritated blemishes.
- With all these active ingredients fighting bacteria, breaking down blackheads, and pulling toxins, you will find relief from surface oil and debris that can cause blemishes.
- Josh Rosebrook Active Enzyme exfoliant has a potent blend of ingredients that specifically combat acne/oily skin types.
- Use this product as recommended 1-2 times per week.
- Exfoliants can greatly improve acne/oily skin types and should be included in your skincare regime.
Shop it at The Detox Market
Best Organic Exfoliant for all Skin Types
Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant is my number one recommended exfoliant for all skin types. Ultimately it all depends on how often you use it.
- If you have dry/mature skin, you will find great results using it daily.
- If you have acne/oily skin type, you can focus on the problem areas about three times a week. The same goes for combination skin types.
This astringent cleanser has disinfectant properties as it gently exfoliates and removes impurities to brighten skin and shrink pores, accelerates removal of dead skin cells, and promotes the growth of new ones while buffing and smoothing skin texture. This daily treatment also includes moisturizing and regenerative properties as well as Eminence exclusive Biocomplex™ antioxidant booster.
Rice Starch, Chick Pea Flour, Thermal Mud, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Oat Starch, Colloidal Oatmeal, Powdered Herbal Oatstraw Extract, Titanium Dioxide, Salicylic Acid (soy derived), Papain, Black Walnut Extract, Alfalfa Leaf Extract, Horsetail Extract, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Green Tea Extract, Dehydrated Strawberry Extract, Strawberry Fruit Seed, Rhubarb Root Extract, White Willow Bark Extract, Grape Leaf Oil, Silica, Lactic Acid, Licorice Root Extract, Moroccan Lava Clay, Potato Starch, BiocomplexTM (Vitamin A, Vitamin C Ester, Vitamin E, Coenzyme Q10, Alpha Lipoic Acid), Burdock Root, Ginkgo Extract.
- This exfoliant will not only remove debris and brighten the skin, but its active ingredients of strawberry also reduce the size of pores, while rhubarb is full of vitamins to feed the skin.
- I chose this as an all skin type exfoliant because it is gentle enough for acne/oily, but can dramatically improve dry/mature skin types. I use this product daily and feel my skin has never been better.
For Legitimate Eminence Products, Shop at an Authorized Eminence Dealer – Amy’s Skincare
Improve your dry exfoliants by mixing them with these nutritious ingredients:
- Chamomile tea: Soothes and calms irritated skin.
- Yogurt: Full of enzymes great for cell nutrients.
- Coconut milk: Very calming and soothing, as well, hydrates and nourishes the skin. (not for acne-prone skin).
- Aloe Vera: Reduces redness and inflammation. Soothes and hydrates.
- Red rose Toner: Helps combat oily skin.
- Honey: Full of enzymes that fight acne-prone skin. Draws out impurities, toxins, and bacteria from the pores.
We Love exfoliants and know the importance of using them. Let us know how these or other products have improved your skin.
To a bright and beautiful you,