Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
When you first find out about the toxins in personal care products and cosmetics, it can really freak you out, you think, “great, now I have to ditch everything I love”.
Well I am happy to tell you that NO YOU DO NOT!
You can still doll yourself up, you can still wear lip color, there are safe options available to you.
We are so lucky, because we live in a time when companies are popping up to fill the need we Eco-conscious women have: to have our cake and eat it to. We still want to enhance our beauty, but we want to feel safe doing it.
Toxins In Lipstick
- Detectable levels of lead have been found in major brands of lipstick, these levels are small and won’t give you lead poisoning, but I like to avoid this heavy metal as much as I can, as it does accumulate over time.
- Other metals have been found in lipsticks, including: arsenic, cadmium, mercury, manganese, chromium, and antimony.
- All of these heavy metals accumulate in the body over time. You are ingesting a large portion of the lipstick and lip gloss you apply, so this is worrying.
- Petroleum products are often used in lipsticks, these are unsustainable and toxic to the body and the environment.
- Parabens such as methylparaben and propylparaben can disrupt your delicate endocrine system and cause irritation.
Five Safe Lipstick Brands
The 5 brands that I recommend are all high-quality, Eco-conscious companies that make safe lipstick. They know that what you put on your lips gets ingested, and they want to make sure that what you are putting on your lips is safe to put in your body.
All of the lipstick brands that I recommend are:
- paraben, nano-particle, petro-chemical, and toxin-free
- organic and made with natural ingredients
- exceptional quality
The top 5 brands that make safe lipstick are:
I will discuss each of these brands below:
1. ILIA Beauty
“Somebody once said to me, that because its organic its good for you, and it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t work as well as the mainstream stuff – I intend to change their mind.”
Here is a video of founder Sasha Plavsic talking about her lipsticks and tinted lip conditioners.
Founder Sasha Plavsic created ILIA Beauty after understanding what toxic ingredients were hiding in her lipstick. She started by creating beautiful, modern packaging, then set out to fill them with exceptional products.
Using an ethical-sustainable approach, all of these products are filled with up to 85% certified organic, bio-active ingredients that nourish and rejuvenate the skin.
Sasha is committed to making safe makeup that woman will love. I think she has done a great job. I have used ILIA’s lipsticks and I love them! They offer great coverage, they come in trendy, flattering colors, they keep your lips hydrated and they have staying power. [Read: My ILIA Lipstick Review].
ILIA’s Lipsticks Are:
- Made with USDA Certified-Organic Ingredients
- Available in 13 hot colors:
- Around the World: A rose hue with a strong lavender undertone.
- Femme Fatale: Sultry shades of berry and burgundy blend together into this deep, rich hue.
- Funnel of Love: A soft nude with peachy undertones.
- Humble Me: The ultimate nude to fade lips into oblivion.
- In My Room: Soft tones of pink and brown that complement every skin tone.
- Ink Pot: A violet hue that can be worn at full intensity, or applied lightly for a berry stain.
- Pink Kashmir: A cool, electric pink.
- Neon Angel: Magenta in its true form.
- Perfect Day: A warm, toned down coral red, soft enough to blend into any palette.
- Wild Child: A warm, fiery red that will command a second look.
- Voilà: Limited Edition. A bright tangerine hue.
- Strike It Up: A classic true red, saturated with blue undertones.
- Linger: Limited Edition. A warm, cognac shimmer.
Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil*, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil*, Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis) Seed Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Beeswax (Cera Alba)*, Triisostearyl Citrate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter*, Manihot Esculenta (Tapioca) Starch*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Fruit Oil, Sage (Salvia Officinalis) Leaf Extract, Tocopherol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide (CI 77499, CI 77492, CI 77491), Red 7 CI15850, Red 28 CI45410, Yellow 5 CI19140. *Certified Organic Ingredients. Ingrédients Certifiés Biologiques.
Try These Beautiful Colors Today and Find Out Why So Many Women Love ILIA!
=> Buy Now at The Detox Market<=
2. Alima Pure
Alima comes from the sufi word Al Alim, which means that divine wisdom encompasses even the smallest things. To us that means that even life’s most trivial details are rich with significance, and that it’s in the process of living life to the fullest that we are our most beautiful.
Check out this video of Alima Pure’s makeup in action.
Alima pure began with a mother trying to find safe cosmetics for her young daughter. She wanted her daughter to have beautiful vibrant makeup to match her vibrant personality, but she wanted the makeup to be healthy.
She began to make her own mineral makeup that was rich, deep and silky. She wanted to share her creations with all women, so that they too could have beauty without compromise.
Alima Pure has a wide range of amazing makeup products and have just recently added lipsticks to that list. They are committed to providing sustainable products using minimal ingredients.
Alima Pure has received rave reviews on their lipsticks and they have been flying off the shelves. They are
Alima Pure’s Lipsticks Are:
- NO parabens, sulfates, synthetic dyes, phthalates, dimethicone, petroleum, talc, bismuth oxychloride, or nanoparticles
- European BDIH “Certified Natural Cosmetics Seal”
- Available in 6 highly pigmented colors:
- Georgia: Vibrant raspberry
- Caroline: Plumy rose
- Emma: Neutral flushed pink
- Beatrice: Deep merlot
- Iris: Earthy muted red
- Louise: Creamy nude
Ricinus Communis Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera Wax, Jojoba Esters, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Copernicia Cerifera Wax, Beeswax, Sesamum Indicum Seed Oil, Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter, Cetyl Alcohol, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ethyl Vanillin, Glycine Soja Oil [+/-] Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxide (Ci 77491), Iron Oxide (Ci77492), Iron Oxide (Ci 77499), Mica (Ci77019), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Tin Oxide (Ci 77861). *Contains Carmine
*Update: Alima Pure Lipsticks are No Longer Available. They now offer Lip Tints.
=> Get Alima Pure Lip Tints at The Detox Market <=
I am an intelligent forward thinking woman making my mark on this world, understanding the value and importance of health. I know what I want and demand only the best. I am making better choices.
Nudus is an Australian company that wants you to look beautiful and feel amazing. Diana Saltoun Goltsman spent 2 years perfecting her lipstick formulas. She lived and breathed lipstick until she created something she could feel great about.
Their pigments are created using pure bio-active color extracts from flowers, fruits, herbs and minerals. These are combined in a base of organic cold pressed oils including pumpkin, kiwi fruit, raspberry, pomegranate, argan and moringa.
Nudus lipsticks are handcrafted in small batches, they are not created by a machine.
Nudus Lipsticks Are:
- COSMOS Organic certified
- Certified by Australian Certified Organic
- NO parabens, pesticides, fungicides, GMO, hydrogenated oils, petro-chemicals, and synthetic dyes and fragrances or nano-particles!
- Available in 9 smashing colors:
- 27 Kisses Is A Universally Flattering Pink-mauve That Is Well Suited For Everyday Wear
- Survivor Encourages You To Paint Your Pout & The Town In Its Statement Fuchsia Pink
- Fairy Tales Is A Dreamy Creamy Peach, Appropriate For Bringing Warmth To Your Face In All Seasons
- Dirty Diana (A Tribute To Legend Michael Jackson) Is A Confident & Bold Red Reminiscent Of A Rich Bordeaux
- Halo Is A Semi-matte Light Rose Color With A Hint Of Frost To Make You Feel Uplifted & Beautiful
- Naked Is A Subtle Neutral Shade To Show Your Softer Side. Naked Can Be Worn Alone Or As A Base For Nudus’ Brighter Shades
- Precious Is A Delightful & Playful Pink Known To Brighten Any Old Day
- Just Like Jade Boasts A Dusty Plum Shade With Subtle Shimmer, Making It A Unique Addition To Your Lipstick Repertoire
- Bitter Sweet Is A Uniquely Striking Shade Of Red Orange
Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil*, Cera Alba (Beeswax)*, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Cera*, Tribehenin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil*, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Oil*, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil*, Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Seed Oil, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Seed Oil*, Fragrance*, May Contain -+ Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica, May Contain CI 75470 (Carmine), Melia Azadirachta Leaf Extract, Melia Azadirchta Flower Extract, Amino-Esters-1, Coccinia Indica, Solanum Melongena (Eggplant) Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Flower Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Ocimum Sanctum (Holy Basil) Leaf Extract, Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Corallina Officinalis (Coral Seaweed) Extract, Eclipta Prostrata Extract, Moringa Pterygosperma Oil, Melia Azadirachta Fruit/Seed Extract, Coccinia Indica Flower Extract, Coccinia Indica Fruit Extract, * = Certified Organic Ingredients/Fragrance Derived From Essential Oils
Try Nudus Lipsticks Now!
=> Shop Nudus On Amazon <=
4. Au Naturale
Au Naturale is an opportunity for women to guiltlessly indulge in an adventure with color, and make a beautiful statement to the world.
Founder Ashley Prange started Au Naturale in order to bring organic, modern, principled makeup to a cosmetics industry run amok with toxic chemicals and shady ethics. She believes that no one should have to sacrifice their health for beauty.
Au Naturale gives 10% of their profits to Zambia Open Community Schools (ZOCS).
These lipsticks nourish and moisturize with avocado oil, cocoa butter, and macadamia nut oil. Au Naturale has a very low hazard rating on the Skin Deep Database, meaning that it is a safe lipstick.
Au Naturale Lipsticks Are:
- NO Parabens, nano-particles, lead, bismuth oxychloride, or carmine
- Available in 11 beautiful colors:
- Innocence: A soft pink nude
- Marrakesh: A warm matte pink
- Primrose: A sheer soft pink
- Plumeria: A warm berry hue with cool undertones
- Marionberry: A light neutral plum
- African Affair: A warm, deep purple
- Sangria: A deep, cool pink with a hint of shimmer
- Wild Lotus: A bright purple hue
- Spanish Rose: A deep red wine with a matte finish
- Ruby: A bold red with a hint of shimmer
- Ibiza: A vibrant pink
- Cora: A bright salmon hue with a soft sparkle
Organic Castor Oil, Organic Theobrama Caco (Coca) Seed Butter, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Wildcrafted Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Organic Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Oil; Hydorgenated Castor Oil, Organic Persea Gratissima (Avacado) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avacado) Butter, Organic Macadamia (Macadamia) Nut Oil, Iron Oxides, Mica, Kaolin
Try this Safe Lipstick Brand Now
5. Vapour Organic Beauty
VAPOUR embodies the beliefs of its founders – beautiful, glowing skin without compromise.
Vapour Organic Beauty started in New Mexico by a team of women experienced in the use of organic ingredients. Eric Sakas, previous President of Kevyn Aucoin Beauty, encountered the Vapour foundation prototype and fell in love.
Eric used his voice to bring this revolutionary product to the world. Now Vapour Beauty offers many products, all with the commitment to performance and purity.
I absolutely love Vapours products. They make THE BEST foundation I have ever used (click here for the review). Their Aura Multi-Use Blush is an amazing, all-purpose product (click here to read my review). What I love most about Vapour’s makeup is the dreamy texture they all have. They are so light and fluffy, like a cloud. They are my ultimate favorite natural makeup brand.
Vapour Organic Beauty Lipsticks Are:
- Free of irradiation, nano particles, petroleum, phalates, parabens, or toxic ingredients.
- ‘Champion’ Safety status from the Environmental Working Group and Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
- 100% natural. 70% organic ingredients and 30% mineral pigments and essential oils
- Free of lab-created FD&C or Lake Colorants
- Available in a huge selection of 27 colors:
- Au Pair: velvet berry
- Bold: classic cool, deep red
- Chere: soft mauve nude
- Coquette: 21st century fuchsia
- Courage: classic cherry red
- Dare: warm plum with cool highlights
- Desire: warm rosy pink
- Hint: warm rosy coral
- Holiday: sheer midtone mauve – carmine free
- Incognito: warm chestnut
- Intuition: reddish mauve
- Knockout: red wine with brown undertones
- Luscious: midtone berry plum
- Madam: classic mauve
- Magnetic: rich plum – carmine free
- Naive: cool nude
- Pin Up: inviting coral tint
- Possess: neutral pink
- Purr: richly pigmented pink
- Ravish: sheer rich red
- Restraint: shimmering cool pink nude
- Saucy: tomato coral tint
- Tempest: feisty coral with depth and intensity
- Tempt: classic medium mauve
- Torrid: rich black orchid
- Tryst: universal neutral red
Organic Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Organic Cera Alba (Beeswax), Castor Isostearate Beeswax Succinate*, Mica, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Natural Fruit Flavour Oils, Organic Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Oil, Camelina Sativa Oil, Organic Rosa Damascena (Rose) Buds, Organic Melissa Officinalis (Lemon Balm) Leaf Extract, Wildcrafted Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Gum, Stevia Rebaudiana (Stevia) Leaf Extract [+/-: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742)] * Eco-cert
Siren Lipstick contains 70% organic ingredients and 30% minerals.
Join the Thousands Of Women Loving Vapour’s Lipsticks
My Favorite Brand
Out of the 5 above, I choose Vapour Organic Beauty. I love the feel of their lipsticks and I love the large color selection.
There you have it, 5 safe lipstick brands. You can be sure any of these brands will be amazing to use and wear. These are companies you can trust – companies that are not pretending to be “natural”, they actually are – this is the cream of the crop.
You can rest assured knowing that the lipstick you are wearing isn’t going to give you cancer or disrupt your hormones. You can feel good knowing that you are supporting sustainable and ethical practices.
Your choices are helping make a difference in the world, by choosing a different path – a different lipstick, you are supporting a sustainable and ethical future. What you put on your mouth matters – and you know it.
Now go show the world your lips!
p.s there are affiliate links in this post, the small commission I earn goes to my lipstick fund 🙂
Any Questions or comments? Please leave them below, we love to hear your thoughts 🙂
Yours In Beauty,