Have you heard of Raspberry seed oil? If not you are in for a pleasant surprise about this plant’s skin benefits.
I love raspberries. I have a nice big patch growing by my house. I always know summer is coming to an end when we go out and pick our raspberries.
It was only recently that I learned about the skin benefits of raspberry seed oil. It doesn’t surprise me that this relative of roses would have such amazing skin benefits. I was reading about natural sun protection oils and learned that red raspberry seed oil could have an SPF as high as 50!
Raspberry Seed Oil is Best For
- Itchy or scaly skin
- Acne or blemished skin
- Irritated skin
- Baby skin
- DIY recipes such as lotions, soaps, skin and hair care.
7 Fantastic Raspberry Seed oil benefits for the skin
Red Raspberry seed oil has a high Vitamin E content:
- Alpha Tocopherol: 12.6mg/100g
- Gamma Tocopherol: 19.4mg/100g
Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant, it reduces skin damage and mops up free radicals that contribute to skin-aging.
Natural Sun Protection
A study done in the year 2000 showed that red raspberry seed oil has UV protection comparable to titanium dioxide. It found that raspberry seed oil can shield against UVA-induced damage by scattering as well as absorption. The SPF value was found to be 28-50 for UVB rays, and 6.75 – 7.5 for UVA rays. UVB rays are the rays that cause sunburn. UVA rays are what contribute to aging and skin cancer.
Raspberry seed oil should not replace your sunscreen until we know more about its UV blocking abilities. Until then, it is an excellent oil to use under your daily sunscreen.
Packed with Carotenoids
Carotenoids are strong antioxidants that play a crucial role in the health of our skin. They inhibit UV damage and stimulate cell repair.
The carotenoid content of red raspberry seed oil is 23 mg/100 g of oil.
83% Essential Fatty Acids
Red raspberry seed oil contains a high amount of Omega-6 and Omega-3 essential fatty acids with Linoleic acid (omega 6) being 52-56% and Alpha-linolenic acid (omega 3) at 29-33%.
Omega 9 - Oleic Acid
- protects the skin from the sun
- penetrates the skin very well, bringing moisture deep into the skins surface
- promotes wound healing
- reduces inflammation and repairs the skin
- is found in our own skin’s sebum
- richer and heavier, seals in moisture
- great for dry skin
Omega 6 - Linoleic Acid
- used as an anti-inflammatory
- retains moisture
- effective in cell regeneration
- heals the skin barrier
- is an Omega oil that our body cannot produce on it’s own
- lighter and thinner, will nourish and protect without being too heavy
- great for oilier skin, may not moisturize enough for very dry skin
Red raspberry seed oil has been shown to have exceptional anti-inflammatory properties that are superior to avocado oil, grapeseed oil, hazelnut oil, and wheat germ oil (source).
Present in red raspberry seed oil, this compound has been shown to reduce the destruction of collagen as well as protecting against Ultraviolet damage from the sun (source). It may also prevent skin cancer.
Their antioxidant activity prevents skin damage, encourages healthy skin growth and may protect against cancer. Phytosterols promote new collagen production, leading to healthier, younger-looking skin.
- Effectively moisturizes the skin, improves elasticity, reduces wrinkles and fine lines.
- Regenerates skin cells.
- Has a strong antioxidant content, reducing and repairing damage from the sun and the elements.
- Has a long shelf of 2 years.
- Heals, strengthens and conditions the hair and scalp.
- Prevents moisture loss in the hair, adds shine.
- Helps mend split ends.
How to Use Raspberry Seed Oil
- FOR FACE: Use a few drops morning and night. It is a non-greasy and non-oily moisturizer that absorbs very well. Mix a few drops with your makeup remover or facial cream. Add some to your face masks or lip balms.
- FOR HAIR: Add 2-3 drops to your shampoo or conditioner or just use a few drops on your ends or scalp.
- FOR BODY: Mix a few drops with your body lotion, sunscreen, or bath or shower gel. Use a few drops mixed into your body oil, or use it on its own as a body oil.
Try Raspberry Seed Oil Today
Our favorite Raspberry Seed oil is from a company called Berry Beautiful. Their raspberry seed oil is completely fresh and has an amazingly subtle, sweet scent.
Products Containing Raspberry Seed Oil:
If you want to try an already-made product that uses raspberry seed oil, I have complied a list of my favorite products containing it.
What do you think about red raspberry seed oil? Do you have any DIY recipes to share?
Yours In Beauty,