Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
We all know how frustrating it is when a blemish appears out of nowhere. Whatever your skin type, we’ve all had our fair share of experiences with the stubborn zit.
Natural remedies can work wonders for improving blemishes without irritating skin or aggravating existing problems. Learning how to make your own acne spot treatment can be incredibly useful when you need a natural but effective remedy ASAP.
The best part about using a DIY acne spot treatment? You know what’s in it and you probably already have most of these ingredients around the house! Standard products that we find at the store may contain a ton of chemicals or other harsh ingredients that aren’t entirely safe. They may make acne worse, irritate skin, or even have a negative impact on our overall health.
Looking for a simple but effective DIY acne spot treatment? Here’s some useful information to guide you through it!
Ingredients to Avoid
Look for products that are fragrance-free. “Fragrance” is an umbrella term that masks a very long list of chemicals and other toxic ingredients that have been linked to a number of serious health risks. Artificial fragrances could also be a potential trigger for acne or other sensitivities!
Alcohol-based products may be a quick fix for degreasing skin, but they do more damage than good in the long-run. Products that contain alcohol may work as an acne spot treatment, however, toners with alcohol can strip the skin’s natural barrier of vital substances, irritate or dry out skin, and contribute to enlarged pores and acne.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
This chemical is typically found in cleansers, shampoo, and body wash. It’s responsible for giving these products their rich lather and foamy consistency. SLS can dry out skin or cause irritation to the skin or eyes.
Benefits of Using DIY Acne Spot Treatments
Natural skin-supporting ingredients
DIY acne spot treatments harness the power of natural skin-supporting ingredients to effectively soothe skin and reduce inflammation while fighting the bacteria that leads to acne.
No chemicals or toxins
The main reason why you should make your own acne spot treatment? It’s safer. Conventional products that are used to treat acne or blemishes may contain a ton of harmful chemicals or harsh ingredients that may negatively impact our health or cause skin irritation.
Best DIY Acne Spot Treatments
Cinnamon and Honey Mask
This face mask smells amazing and it’s loaded with antioxidants! Cinnamon and honey are great for the skin because they contain natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which can be particularly beneficial when it comes to calming and soothing acne-prone skin.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon until it becomes a paste.
- After cleansing your face, apply the mask all over.
- Leave the mixture on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse your face with warm water and pat dry.
Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that contains natural anti-inflammatory properties. It can be particularly helpful when it comes to reducing inflammation and treating blemishes. Turmeric is also a great natural remedy for brightening dark spots, and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- 1 ½ teaspoon of organic turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of ground oats
- 2 tablespoons of organic plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Add the organic turmeric, ground oats, organic plain yogurt, and raw honey into a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients together until it forms a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture to your face after cleansing. The ground oats in this mask will also help gently exfoliate skin while clearing away sebum and dirt.
Green tea is an excellent source of antioxidants. It also contains tannins and flavonoids which are helpful for reducing inflammation and killing bacteria – both of which, can contribute to acne or blemishes. If you have oily or acne-prone skin, green tea can effectively soothe inflammation and help control excess oil.
- Green tea
- 1 cup water
- Boil the water.
- Steep the green tea in boiling water for 4 minutes or so.
- Set the tea aside for a couple minutes to let it cool down.
- Once it has reached your desired temperature, use a cotton ball to apply the mixture to your face.
- Allow it to dry before rinsing it off with water.
Tea Tree Oil
This essential oil is popular for natural acne spot treatments because it contains natural anti-inflammatory properties and it has the ability to fight bacteria. However, you must always dilute tea tree oil before applying it to skin. As with most essential oils, tea tree oil is incredibly concentrated and you must practice safe dilution when using it topically.
- Tea tree oil
- Small bowl
- Cotton swabs
- In a small bowl, dilute the tea tree oil in water by combining 1 part tea tree oil with 9 parts water.
- Mix it.
- Use a cotton swab to apply the mixture onto any blemishes or acne spots.
- Apply your favorite moisturizer to your skin to keep it hydrated.
- You may repeat this treatment 1-2 times a day.
Roller Ball Acne Spot Treatment
Made with natural essential oils, this spot treatment is perfect for on the go application. Only 6 ingredients are needed for this easy recipe!
- Witch Hazel
- 2 drops of Vitamin E Oil
- 3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Clary Sage Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- 10 ml roller bottle
- Fill your roller bottle halfway with witch hazel.
- Add 2 drops Vitamin E oil using a dropper or pipette.
- Carefully add 3 drops of each of the essential oils (a pipette or dropper would be the best way to add them to the bottle.)
- Add a little more witch hazel to fill the bottle up to just below the neck.
- Shake well.
To Use: Shake well before each use. Roll on the face as needed wherever you see or feel pimples coming up.
Spot Treatment Serum
An easy to make serum for applying to breakouts. Jojoba and turmeric act as antibacterial agents, while sandalwood essential oil helps heal and cleanse wounds. Vitamin E helps prevent scarring.
- Using a funnel, pour all ingredients into a glass container
- Shake gently to combine
To Use: Place one drop on your fingertip and dab onto the breakout spot. For best results, use on clean, toned, and moisturized skin. Try putting it on at night and let it work its magic while you sleep.
Try it out for yourself! Making your own natural acne spot treatment is oh-so simple and it can work wonders for reducing inflammation, killing bacteria, and soothing skin. Instead of spending a fortune on overpriced acne spot treatments, there are a number of natural ingredients with skin-supporting properties that can be used as an effective remedy for treating acne or blemishes.
That said, the biggest reason why you should consider making your own homemade, natural acne spot treatment is because it’s much safer and it’s a step in the right direction when it comes to making your home a non-toxic space.
We always love hearing from you! Let us know in the comments about your own experience with DIY acne spot treatments or if you have any tips to share – and of course, if you have any questions for us.