Your face is the first step to any skin care routine. Here are some tips to get a proper facial cleansing:
- Make sure you are not using a harsh cleanser, as that will dry your skin out and lead to accelerated aging. Chemical foaming agents such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate need to be avoided. See a list of toxins in personal care products here.
- Use a cleanser that is gentle ( it doesn’t leave your face feeling red, tight or itchy), but also robust enough that you don’t have to use it more than once to get clean.
- Washing once or twice a day is enough. Too much washing will lead to irritation and the overproduction of oil.
- Use lukewarm water, hot water will dry out your skin.
- Make sure you rinse well and don’t leave behind cleanser to clog up your pores.
- Avoid irritating ingredients such as fragrance, sodium lauryl sulfate, colorants, and parabens.
- When drying – pat, don’t rub. Rubbing pulls your skin and breaks elastin.
- Use a clean, soft towel to gently pat your face dry.
- Use your moisturizer, serum, or treatment right after washing, when your face is still damp, this way the active ingredients can penetrate deeper into the skin.