Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
I love using yogurt on my face when it needs a boost of moisture, or I want to give my dull skin an instant glow. Yogurt is so easy to use and easy to find.
Yogurt’s claim to fame is its lactic acid content. Lactic acid is a mild alpha-hydroxy acid. It dissolves dead skin cells that accumulate in the pores and on the surface of the skin.
Yogurt is an excellent food, but it is also excellent for your skin. Many of the vitamins that benefit our insides are also benefit our outsides.
Yogurt Face Mask Benefits
Yogurt nourishes and heals your skin. A high zinc content reduces inflammation.
Lactic acid increases the water content in your skin’s epidermis. Calcium is abundant in our skin’ s epidermis, the calcium in yogurt help prevent and heal dry, scaly skin.
Lactic acid works like Glycolic acid, only it is less irritating and stimulates cell renewal at an even greater frequency. Exfoliation gets rid of dead skin cells, leaving fresh new ones behind, and giving your skin a smoother look and feel.
4. Brighten Skin
Lactic acid inhibits the enzyme responsible for initiating melanin production (tyrosinase). This makes yogurt mildly bleaching when used regularly. It will even your skin tone and reduce discoloration.
Latic Acid encourages cell turnover and stimulates collagen growth. Yogurt attracts moisture to the skin, plumping it up. Vitamin B2 protects from oxidation damage.
6. Skin Infections
Fungal infections can be helped with yogurts’ high probiotic content.
Zinc soothes the itching and and burning of sunburned skin, probiotics and enzymes in yogurt help heal your damaged skin.
Zinc calms inflammation and reduces excess oil production. Probiotics in yogurt fight bad bacteria on the skin. Lactic acid removes dead skin cells which clog pores and cause pimples. Yogurt also tightens and reduces pore size.
The exfoliating affect of yogurt smooths the skin, revealing a fresh new glow.
What Kind of Yogurt is Best for Facial Care?
The best yogurt for facial care is going to be all of these:
Moisturizing Mask for Dry Skin
- – 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (with the highest fat content you can get)
- – 1 tablespoon honey (hydrates)
- – 1 tablespoon ripe avocado, mashed (full of essential fatty acids that moisturize the skin)
- – 1 tablespoon cooked & cooled oatmeal (soothes and moisturizes)
Mix these ingredients into a paste. Spread over your face and leave it on for 10 – 15 min. Wash it all off with a soft washcloth.
Soothing Mask for Irritated Skin
- – 1/4 cup of plain yogurt
- – 1/4 cup peeled, chopped cucumber (cools the skin)
- – 1 tablespoon Aloe Vera gel or juice (hydrates and heals)
- – 1 tablespoon honey (hydrates, soothes and is anti-microbial)
- – A few drops of chamomile oil (calms irritations)
Put all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. If it is too wet, strain through a cheesecloth. Apply to face, and leave on for 10 – 15 min. You can refrigerate this mixture and have it on hand always.
Blemish and Acne Mask
- – 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- – 1 tablespoon honey (anti-microbial)
- – 1 teaspoon lemon juice (citric acid cleanses and evens skin tone)
- – 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (anti-inflammatory)
Mix the ingredients together and apply to dry, cleansed skin. Leave on for 10 – 15 minutes. Wash and pat dry.
Use yogurt on your face as often as you like.
- Acne: Use everyday
- Dry Skin: 2-3 times a week
- Fungal Infections: 4 – 5 times a day
What do you think of yogurt as a facial mask? Have you tried it? Share your stories and recipes below!
Yours In Beauty,