Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
You think washing your face with a facial cleanser is enough, but it is probably not. After washing the face, using toner for skin is very necessary.
A toner contributes to the deeper cleansing and rebalancing of the skin’s pH after cleansing and is considered the final cleansing step which helps the skin to receive the nutrients from the serum and moisturizer in the following skincare steps.
To save a decent amount of money on beauty, you can make your own toner at home from the natural ingredients available.
1. Lemon Toner
Lemon is probably one of the most well-known natural ingredients that are extremely useful in DIY recipes for taking care of the skin.
With high levels of vitamin C, many amino acids and other nutrients, fresh lemon will be the perfect food for you to purify, eliminate toxins in the body, at the same time help skin strengthen resistance against the skin-damaging effects, clean the skin deeper, and remove dead skin cells, thereby making skin beautiful very effectively.
Lemon contains highly anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. As a result, it helps prevent and get rid of acne considerably and fast. Furthermore, the nutrients in lemon can remove sunburn, scars, dark spots, and wrinkles, nourish, moisturize, whiten the skin and make it smooth, beautiful and glowing.
Witch hazel can astringe, remove excess oil in the pores, reduce redness, reduce acne without drying skin, soothe sunburn, stimulate blood circulation and make the skin rosy. Witch hazel alone (not mixed with anything) can make a toner. Therefore, why don’t you take advantage of these ingredients to make your own toner?
It is undoubtedly that a lemon toner will take care of your skin better than many kinds of toner sold in the stores.
- Prepare several fresh lemons, pure water, a cup or a bowl, plastic bottle with flap or spray nozzle
- Squeeze the lemon juice to get lemon juice
- Combine a cup of pure water, 1/2 cup of the lemon juice and 2/3 cup of witch hazel. You can freely reduce any component depending on the adaptation on your skin. You should use less witch hazel if the skin is dry and increase in the case of oily skin. Lemon and water can be added as you like.
- Add tea tree oil in the ratio of 1-5 drops per 100 ml of water.
- Hold the toner in a clean plastic bottle with a close button or spray nozzle.
You can use this toner twice a day, if it is a spray bottle, just spray on the face like a mineral spray, then if the bottle is often used to pour out a piece of cotton wool and clean the surface.
- You should use sunscreen because the alpha hydroxy acid in the lemon will make your skin sensitive to the sun, also, for this reason, do NOT use the toner on sensitive skin.
- Keep the toner in a cool, dry place or preferably in the refrigerator if the weather is hot.
2. Green Tea Leaves And Chrysanthemum Toner
As one of the most popular flowers in the beauty industry – Chrysanthemum combined with green tea leaves is the perfect toner formula for acne-prone skin due to the anti-oxidant properties of green tea and the delicate Chrysanthemum essence that does not irritate the skin but cleanses the skin effectively.
The toner from green tea leaves and Chrysanthemum helps to effectively combat premature aging, gently cleanses the skin, and cleanses the pores.
- Prepare chrysanthemum petals, green tea leaves, a pot, a pot lid, a clean bowl, and a clean bottle
- Put chrysanthemum petals and tea leaves into the pot and pour pure water in to fill the petals and tea leaves then place a small bowl in the middle of the pot.
- Turn the pot lid upside down and start boiling. When boiling the water, put ice on the pot lid to condense the steam to form a toner.
- The condensed water will fall into the small bowl placed between the pot. Boil for more 30-45 minutes then turns off the stove to get the best pure toner. Avoid long-boiling because the essence of chrysanthemum petals and tea leaves will be lost.
- Pour the toner into the bottle for use
You should use the toner after cleansing the face for 2 times daily in the morning and before bedtime. Let’s apply to the face, and neck before going out in the sun to help the skin to avoid the effects of sun exposure or whenever the skin feels dry.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Toner
Apple cider vinegar is very beneficial for both health and beauty, especially for the skin. Apple cider vinegar contains terrific anti-bacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. As a result, it can help to protect the skin from acne and prevent aging effectively.
Furthermore, apple cider vinegar also can clean deep and astringe the pores, which makes the skin smoother. The natural acids in apple cider vinegar can remove dark spots on the skin, thereby giving bringing balance to your skin tone. You can include apple cider vinegar in some mask for the skin or make toner from it.
- Prepare apple cider vinegar, pure water, and a clean bottle
- Mix apple cider vinegar with pure water in the ratio of 1:2 (for non-sensitive skin) or mix them in the ratio of 1:4 (for sensitive skin, since ACV has high acidity level) or in the ratio of 1:3 (for mixed skin).
- Put the toner in the bottle and use it to wipe face for 3-4 times per day
- If for acne skin you can replace water with green tea leaves, cook in proportion: 1 part vinegar: 1 part water: 2 parts green tea. The toner from ACV and green tea needs to be stored in a refrigerator and used within 5 days.
- For those who have dry skin should not or limit the use of apple cider vinegar.
- You should test on a small skin area whether your skin has any bad reaction before applying on the total face.
4. Rose Toner
Rose is a beloved kind of flower of almost all women. Besides the beauty and meaning it brings, rose also has excellent benefits of taking care of the skin. Primarily, it is used a lot in producing a toner.
Instead of buying rose toner from expensive cosmetic brands, you can create your own rose toner with just a bowl of fresh rose petals and 2 bowls of boiling water. In rose petals, there are vitamins C, B, D, E, K and a powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent inflammation in pores, reduce bruises and acne, and bring soft and smooth skin.
Moreover, rose toner can remove dead skin cells, balance and moisture the skin. Therefore, let’s learn how to make rose toner immediately to make your skin more beautiful and glowing.
How to do:
- Prepare rose petals, a pot, a pot lid, a bowl, and a clean bottle
- Soak the rose petals in the water to remove all dirt from the petals
- Put the rose petal in the pot with pure water (pour water over the petals) and place a small bowl between the pot
- Put the pot lid upside down and start boiling. When boiling water, pour ice on the lid to condense the steam and fall into the small bowl between the pot
- Pour the condensed rose toner into the clean plastic bottle to use twice daily after cleansing the face
5. Matcha (Green Tea Powder) Toner
Green tea powder contains caffeine, catechins that are effective in inflammation, along with high levels of chlorophyll which have bactericidal and antiseptic effects. As a result, it can reduce inflammation caused by acne, prevent and get rid of acne rapidly.
In addition, green tea powder is also useful in skin whitening since green tea powder contains a lot of vitamins and minerals necessary for the skin such as amino acids, carotene, retinol, vitamins B1, B2, B6, C, K, E, calcium, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and so on.
Therefore, creating toner form green tea powder helps to supplement your skin with necessary nutrients, thereby making your skin healthy, smooth and white.
How to do:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of green tea powder and 1/2 cup of distilled water, stir well and add to the vial. For those who love scent, you can add 1 drop of lavender essential oil, especially chrysanthemum essential oil and green tea for good anti-inflammatory properties.
- Put the mixture in the refrigerator. Every day, after cleansing, you use the toner to gently spray on the skin.
Just make enough amount of the toner for 4-5 days of use and leave in the refrigerator, and then continue to make a new bottle; because the product has no preservatives, it is difficult for more extended use.
These types of toners are simple to create, but they are undoubtedly beneficial for your skin without any harmful effect. Let’s take advantage of these cheap ingredients to produce your own wonderful toner.
This guest post is by Mai Cao, a blogger with many years of experience on searching the best natural home remedies for beauty and health issues.