Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Mud masks and mud baths have been used in skin care for hundreds of years. It is also considered as one of the oldest substances used in cosmetics. But what are the best mud masks?
What is a Mud Mask?
A mud mask is a type of clay mask used as part of a beauty regimen for the face. A facial mud mask often comprises of minerals and mud from the Dead Sea. Dead Sea mud is a common ingredient in mud masks as it is sometimes associated with healing. The Dead Sea’s healing process was also documented from the works of monks for many years. Other additions to mud masks that make them a great rejuvenating and soothing substance include chamomile, aloe, green tea, honey, and different types of clay.
A mud mask is different from a clay mask. Clay masks tend to be more drying, whereas mud masks are more hydrating. Mud is a skin-healing agent; clay is a cosmetic, drying skin agent. Mud won’t strip your skin of its natural moisture and can draw moisture to the skin.
How to and Tips on Applying Mud Masks
- The mask is spread on the face or other parts of the body evenly (make sure the skin is clean and dry before applying).
- It is usually applied as a full mask but be careful in avoiding the area around the eye.
- Typically, mud masks are left on the face for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After this, the mask may be gently peeled off with a washcloth or washed with warm water. Facial cleansers and soap are not recommended for removing a mud mask.
- After removing the mask, you can choose to apply a gentle moisturizer to the face, but not always necessary.
- It is usually advised that a mud mask should not be applied for more than three times weekly.
- For people with acne-prone and oily skin, they may want to apply the mud pack thrice per week.
- Other people with dry or combination skin may only put it on once or twice per week.
- Mud packs can be used at your home or a spa.
- Mud spa treatments have become popular nowadays, but it is still often much more economical to apply a mud mask at home.
- Before purchasing mud mask beauty products, people with sensitive skin should test first any products in a small area of their skin. This is to make sure it will not cause any allergic reaction.
- You can use mud masks as deemed necessary, but if irritation starts to occur, you can either use the mask less frequently or discontinue it altogether.
Benefits of Mud Masks
Mud masks enhance blood circulation under the skin. They also help make the skin look clearer and brighter by deeply cleansing the pores, as well as by removing dirt, dead skin cells, and impurities. It tightens, moisturizes and rejuvenates tired skin, giving it a younger and more youthful appearance. Mud masks also heal skin tissues, which in turn improve the skin’s natural elasticity.
The Best Mud Masks
A lot of products you see in stores are using clay, but labeling themselves as a mud mask. A true mud mask will be marked with the ingredient Dead Sea Mud.
Dead Sea Mud is the best mud for use as a mask. It is excellent for all skin types and is rich in 21 natural minerals (12 of which are exclusive to Dead Sea mud).
The following are the best mud mask products that you can find on the market.
Pure Body Naturals Dead Sea Mud Mask
The Dead Sea Mud Mask by Pure Body Naturals is effective for helping your skin. It helps draws out oils and toxins, cleans pores, and may leave your face feeling exfoliated, nourished and clean.
This mud mask is smooth, creamy and easy to apply. The addition of kaolin clay adds to its cleansing power. Shea butter gives the mask a hydrating effect. The ingredients are all natural, and this product is a best-seller on Amazon.
Pure and Essential Minerals Dead Sea Mud Mask
This mask is similar to the one above, but it contains eucalyptus oil for a refreshing scent. It also doesn’t contain kaolin clay. The ingredients are mostly organic, and it comes with a free Ebook!
Pure and Essential Dead Sea Mud Mask contains only 100% pure, natural and certified organic ingredients – free of sulfates, phosphates, parabens or chemicals of any kind. Cruelty-Free, Vegan Certified.
E-ra Organics Dead Sea Mud Therapy
Soak your skin with a unique blend Dead Sea Mud, organic aloe vera, manuka honey, coconut oil, shea butter, and green tea. This mud mask is perfect for an at-home spa day. It is all natural and comes with a 60-day money back guarantee.
Treat blemished, reduce redness, balance oily skin and prevent future breakouts. Balance skin tone, reduce wrinkles and rejuvenate dull skin with this spa-quality mask.
Mud Mask Additions
You can also mix in your own essential oils when you are using mud masks.
You can try adding RMO’s Skin Care Essential Oil Blend to your daily skin care with a Dead Sea Mud Mask to help invigorate and tone mature skin.
Use your mud mask with Jasmine Essential Oil from RMO to helps improve the appearance and feel on most types of skin – dry, sensitive, or mature skin types.
RMO’s Neroli Essential Oil can be used in your Mud Mask, as it is perfect for lessening the appearance of scars, blemishes, and fine lines.
Using mud masks and mud baths have been proven helpful in soothing and healing the skin. These beauty products have also become a popular alternative to therapies, especially for older people. You can get so many benefits for your face and body, especially if you buy the best mud masks and use them regularly.
How often do you apply masks? What is your favorite mask addition? Be sure to leave a comment if you have any questions, and if you liked this post, share it with your friends.
Yours In Beauty,