Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Essential oils are concentrated extracts taken from plants. Plants contain chemical compounds that protect them from the sun and insects, promote growth, create aroma, and other life-enhancing effects.
Essential oils contain a plant's most healing compounds. These compounds, when applied topically, can have anti-aging benefits to our skin.
The best essential oils for anti-aging are those that contain lots of antioxidants and unique compounds that target the needs of the skin to prevent wrinkle formation.
Where to Source Essential Oils
You want high-quality oils, especially when it comes to combating aging. You also want a brand with transparency and excellent customer service.
My favorite brand is Rocky Mountain Oils (RMO). They are committed to bringing you high-quality, therapeutic grade essential oils at affordable prices.
How do Essential Oils Work for Aging Skin?
Wrinkles are a natural result of aging. Collagen and elastin in our skin break down as we age, causing lines to form. Free radicals produced by UV rays and environmental pollutants wreak havoc on our skin, destroying collagen and elastin.
This is where antioxidants come in, they combat these free radicals, and reduce the damage they cause.
By topically applying potent, antioxidant-heavy oils to our face, we can help our skin retain its healthy and youthful appearance.
We can’t stop the clock, our skin will still age (and that is ok), but we can age more gracefully and keep our skin hydrated, plump, and full of life.
Now let's talk about each of these anti-aging essential oils.
The 10 Best Anti-Aging Essential Oils
The best anti-aging essential oils have been chosen based on their effectiveness at reducing and preventing fine lines as well as their ability to hydrate and maintain the integrity of the skin.
- Best for oily and mature skin.
- Aroma is medium-strength balsamic, rich, warm, slightly spicy, sweet, and woody.
Frankincense EO Skin Benefits
- Promotes healthy cell regeneration
- Keeps existing skin cells healthy
- It improves skin tone
- Lessens the appearance of scarring
- Can help eliminate sun spots
- Helps with micro-wrinkles
- Tightens the skin
- Has been shown to combat cancer (source)
- Best for dry and mature skin.
- Aroma is strong floral and sweet.
Rose EO Skin Benefits
- Moisturizing to the skin
- Reduces inflammation and redness
- Tones and lifts the skin
- Reduces look of fine lines
- High in antioxidants
- Helps heal broken capillaries
- Minimizes scarring
Look for Rose Otto if you want a pure rose essential oil (rose absolute is extracted with solvents). It is expensive, but worth it. You can also get rose oil diluted in a carrier oil for a more affordable price.
- Best for combination skin.
- Aroma is medium-strength intensely sweet, floral, and rich.
Ylang-Ylang EO Skin Benefits
- Balances sebum production
- High in antioxidants
- Fights skin infections
- Anti-bacterial and anti-septic
- Stimulates and tones the skin
- Excellent addition to a facial toner
- Best for dry or mature skin.
- Aroma is strong rich, floral, and tea-like.
Jasmine EO Skin Benefits
- Increases skin elasticity
- Tones all skin types
- Excellent for stretch marks and scars
- Enhances skin immunity
- Combats bacteria
- Soothing and calming
Jasmine is a pricey essential oil. Stay away from cheap jasmine oil, as it will not have therapeutic effects.
- Best for oily or mature skin.
- Aroma is medium-strength rich, herbaceous, musky, earthy, and spicy.
Patchouli EO Skin Benefits
- Regenerates skin cells
- Prevents scarring
- Excellent for aging skin
- Tightens and tones sagging skin
- Useful for eczema, acne and sunburn
- Smooths fine lines and wrinkles
- Regulates sebum production
- Works as a scent-fixative, it will extend the life of your scent blends
- Best for dry or mature skin.
- Aroma is medium-strength woody, earthy, and slightly balsamic.
Sandalwood EO Skin Benefits
- Softens the skin
- Helps skin retain moisture
- Historically used to treat infections
- Helps treat dry or chapped skin conditions
- Relieves itchy skin
- Cools and soothes the skin
- Can reduce age spots
- Fades wrinkles
- Best for sensitive skin.
- Aroma is strong warm, sweet, and herbaceous.
German Chamomile EO Skin Benefits
- Healing and calming to the skin
- One of the gentlest essential oils
- Hydrates and protects
- High Chamazulene content gives it soothing and anti-inflammatory poperties
- Reduces redness and the appearance of broken capillaries
- Soothes acne, stings, rashes and burns
- Moisturizes dry skin
- Contains potent antioxidants
- Best for sensitive or mature skin.
- Aroma is strong sweet, floral, citrusy, and fresh.
Neroli EO Skin Benefits
- Softens scars
- Improves skin elasticity
- Stimulates new cell growth
- Prevents and treats stretch marks and scars
- Promotes wound healing
- Balances skin oils
- Best for oily or combination skin.
- Aroma is medium‐strength musky, herbal, sharp, and warm.
Clary Sage EO Skin Benefits
- High antioxidant content
- Helps regulate sebum production
- Reduces inflammation
- Tones the skin
- Cleanses pores
- Stimulates blood circulation to the surface of the skin, helping your skin to fight infections and stay healthy
- Natural deodorizer
- Best for mature skin.
- Aroma is medium-strength rich, balsamic, warm, and earthy.
Myrrh EO Skin Benefits
Tips on Using Essential Oils for Anti-Aging
- Always dilute EO with a carrier oil or a toner.
- A good dilution rate for facial applications is 1% - To achieve this, mix 1 drop of EO to 1 tsp carrier oil or toner.
- A little goes a long way, only a few drops are needed to see results.
- Add a couple of drops to your moisturizer, mix together and apply.
- Apply a drop of essential oil to a cotton ball, along with a toner. Use as you normally would.
Essential oils are an excellent addition to your skin care routine. Whether you are adding them to a carrier oil or a ready-made moisturizer, or you are making your own skin care, essential oils can increase the effectiveness of your anti-aging routine.
Essential oils are powerful sources of the antioxidants that keep your skin looking young. They can soothe the skin and calm inflammation. They can fight infections and stimulate new cell growth.
Remember to buy your essential oils from a reputable company. That way, you are guaranteed to be satisfied with your purchase.
What is your favorite essential oil? Mine is in the comments below 🙂