Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Who doesn't love roses? These beautiful and fragrant flowers have been used for centuries and are a symbol of beauty and love. Roses have a comforting effect on the emotions and a nourishing effect on the skin.
Rose oil (or Rosa Damascena, its Latin name) is an oil truly fit for a queen. It is said that Cleopatra used Rose and Jasmine scents to seduce Marc Anthony from the Roman Empire. Rose Essential oil is feminine, powerful, seductive, and exquisite. Your senses will be spellbound by it's intoxicating energy.
There are two different methods of extracting oil from rose petals: steam distillation produces Rose Otto, whereas the solvent extraction produces Rose Absolute.
A skin patch test is recommended before using any new essential oil to test for sensitivity and reactions. Essential oils must always be diluted prior to use.
Rose Oil should not be used during pregnancy.
Rose Otto Vs Rose Absolute
- Rose Otto is thinner in viscosity and lighter in color than Rose Absolute. Rose Otto is quite thick and can solidify at cool temperatures.
- Rose Otto is a better oil for topical aromatherapy applications because Rose Absolute may contain trace amounts of residual solvent.
- Rose Otto is more expensive than Rose Absolute because the amount of Rose petals needed for production is significantly higher.
- It takes about 60,000 roses to produce 30 ml of Rose Otto.
- Both of these oils are quite concentrated and a little goes a long way.
- Rose Otto is a bit lighter than Rose Absolute, with a softer, more refined aroma. Rose Absolute is often used in perfume, as it has a stronger and longer lasting fragrance.
In this article we will be discussing the benefits of Rose Otto, as it is a better oil for skin care applications.
Citronellol, Citral, Carvone, Citronellyl Acetate, Eugenol, Farnesol, Methyl Eugenol, Nerol, Phenyl Acetaldehyde, and Phenyl Geraniol.
Antidepressant, antiphlogistic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, aphrodisiac, astringent, bactericidal, cholagogue, cicatrisant, depurative, emenagogue, haemostatic, hepatic, laxative, nervine, stomachic and uterine substance.
Rose oil has a warm, deep floral, slightly spicy, rich, honey-like odor.
Rose Essential Oil Skin Benefits
- Tones and tightens skin, useful for wrinkles and sagging skin.
- Comforts dry, irritated areas.
- Helps balance moisture levels in the skin.
- Promotes an even skin tone.
- Reduces the appearance of blemishes.
- High in antioxidants that protect the skin from damage.
- Anti-inflammatory and soothing.
- Useful on sensitive and aging skin.
- Prevents and reduces scarring.
Essential oils don't just benefit the skin, they also have an effect on our emotions. Rose oil induces feelings of love and comfort, easing grief and loneliness. It can boost the mood and enhance libido.
- Can help calm irritated nerves.
- Encourages a restful sleep.
- Lifts the spirits.
- Soothes frustration and irritability.
- Stimulating and elevating to the mind.
- Creates a sense of well-being.
- Helps overcome insecurities.
- Promotes joy, peace and mental clarity.
- Reduces stress, anxiety and fear.
- Use Rose Essential Oil in a diffuser to encourage a calm, peaceful environment.
- Wear as a perfume at a 3 % dilution (4 drops essential oil to 1 tsp carrier oil).
Rose Essential Oil Will Last You A Long Time
One bottle of Rose Oil can last you 10 - 20 years! A little goes a long way. You only need to use 1 drop of Rose Oil in 1 ounce of carrier oil for skin care use.
Rose Facial Oil Recipe
This facial oil is great for all skin types. It is anti-aging and smooths the skin. Use it twice a day after cleansing.
This recipe makes a 1% dilution, perfect for daily skin care use.
Mix everything together into a dark glass dropper bottle and shake well before using.
Replenishing Eye Oil Recipe
The fragile skin around the eyes benefits from this anti-inflammatory moisturizing treatment.
- 3 teaspoons apricot kernel oil
- 2 drops chamomile essential oil
- 2 drops rose essential oil
Combine and store in a 15 ml dark glass bottle with a dropper top.
After cleansing and while your face is slightly damp, apply 2 drops of oil to your ring finger. With a gentle tapping motion, smooth the oil beneath your eye and onto the area just below your brow bone. Avoid the eyelid area as the oil can migrate into your eyes.
Lovely Rose Body Scrub Recipe
This all natural body scrub is easy to make and will leave your skin feeling soft.
- 1-2 cups finely ground almonds
- 1-2 cups sea salt
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 5 drops rose essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
Mix all ingredients together and store in a container of your choice.
In the shower, apply the scrub to your arms, legs and torso. Massage gently into your skin using a circular motion. Rinse well. Be careful, as the oil in this recipe makes your tub slippery.
What is the Best Essential Oil Brand?
Not all brands are created equal. There is a lack of industry standards on the use of the words "natural" and "pure". Because of this, much of what you find in the drugstore is not therapeutic quality essential oil. These oils often contain adulterants or contaminants.
A High Quality Essential Oil Brand Should Follow These Guidelines:
- proper and labeled plant varieties
- plants grown in their indigenous locations
- grown without pesticides and chemical fertilizers
- extracted at the proper temperature to preserve the oil molecules
- third party testing on every batch
We love Rocky Mountain Oils because they offer high-quality, tested oils and great customer service.
How do you use Rose Essential Oil? Do you have any recipes to share? Leave a comment below, we love to hear your stories 🙂 If you enjoyed this article, share it with your friends!
Yours In Beauty,