Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Product: Mahalo : Rare Indigo Beauty Balm
Price: $110 USD
My rating: 9/10
How Long Have I Used the Product? 1 Month
About the Brand
High-quality, eco-chic skin treats that are handcrafted by a husband and wife duo in Kauai, Hawaii. “Mahalo” is an ancient Hawaiian word meaning gratitude, esteem, and respect. Mahalo skincare was born out of a desire to expand the limits of experiencing and celebrating our beauty.
Ingredients include potent botanicals, antioxidant-rich plant butters, and exotic super-oils. Their products are free of synthetic chemicals, parabens, and animal testing. They source local and wild-harvested ingredients whenever possible.
One of the unique features of Mahalo is that they package their products in bamboo. They crowd-sourced the funding for this unique packaging. Their production happens in their local studio, with each product being laboriously and lovingly created and hand-blended.
*note: I received this product for free. I only write reviews for products I love. There are affiliate links in the post. Click here to learn more.
I was sent the Rare Indigo Beauty Balm before it was released to the public so that I could test it and offer my feedback to Maryna (the owner of Mahalo). What a treat! I was honored to be chosen to try this product out and be able to offer my thoughts to this lovely company.
My First Impression of the Product
The color was what first intrigued me, this balm is a light purple-blue hue. It is gorgeous! It truly is the little things that count when it comes to loving a product, our senses must be pleased. Color, scent, and texture play an important role in exploring a skincare product.
Scent and Texture
The scent is a sensual floral aroma. It is quite strong, and it lingers on your skin for hours after application ( I love products like that, I love getting whiffs of a lovely scent as I go about my day). Yarrow, ylang-ylang, bergamot, lavender, and frankincense create a crisp and sweet aroma.
The texture is balm-like, but this product is free of wax. It has a texture like softened coconut oil. It is easy to get a small amount from the jar and it melts on contact with your skin.
A small amount goes a long way. I truly love these high-end, luxury organic products. They are expensive, but they last you months, and the impeccable ingredients create a truly worthwhile product. Robust ingredients create an effective product that requires only a tiny amount to see results.
This balm melts onto your skin and gets fully absorbed. I have found that the key to not getting a shiny face when using oils and balms is to not use too much. You only need the tiniest amount of this balm to cover your face.
cannabis sativa (hemp)*, astrocaryum murumuru*, orbignya oleifera (babassu)*, sclerocarya birrea (marula), vitis vinifera (grape seed)*, camellia japonica (tsubaki tea seed)*, aleurites moloccans (kukui)*, euterpe oleracea (acai)*, proprietary infusion of organic herbs*, polygonum tinctorium (indigo), rosa damascena*, matricaria chamomilla*, achillea millefolium (yarrow)*, helichrysum italicum*, cananga odorata (ylang ylang)*, citrus aurantium var. bergamia (bergamot fcf)*, lavandula angustifolia (lavender)*, boswellia carteri (frankincense)*, abelmoschus moschatus (ambrette hibiscus), ubiquinone (coenzyme Q10), daucus carota (carrot seed)*, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate (vitamin C ester), non-gmo mixed tocopherols, vanilla planifolia, iris pallida
*Clean ingredients: organic + local and/or wild harvested (when available)
- Hemp Seed Oil
- It has a great balance of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. It helps with skin dryness and itchiness. Rich in vitamin D, which is essential for calcium absorption to help create soft, smooth and hydrated skin. Hemp oil does not contain any THC.
- Murumuru Butter
- restores elasticity and transforms prematurely aging skin. It is similar to coconut oil (high in Lauric acid) without the pore-clogging tendency of coconut oil. Lauric acid is anti-microbial, making it good for fighting acne.
- Babassu Oil
- Has similar properties to coconut oil. It forms a protective and soothing coat on the skin and is excellent for both dry and oily skin conditions.
- Marula Oil
- A high antioxidant level oil that is intensely nourishing and hydrating.
- Tsubaki Tea Seed Oil
- Quickly absorbed into the deeper layers of the skin, promoting cell growth and increasing skin flexibility.
- Kukui Nut Oil
- A Hawaiian nut oil used to soothe and heal dry and wounded skin.
- Proprietary Infusion of Organic Herbs
- The herbs contained in this balm offer exceptional anti-inflammatory effects.
- Coenzyme Q10
- helps diminish wrinkles by reducing the breakdown of collagen – this a clinically proven anti-aging ingredient.
- Vitamin C Ester (tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate)
- A stable form of vitamin C that is fat-soluble. The fat solubility helps it absorb better into the skin. Stimulates collagen production and reduces wrinkles – another clinically proven anti-aging ingredient.
Price and Size
$110 USD for 1 fl. oz/ 30 ml.
Who is this product for?
Skin type: ALL. Best for normal to oily skins and especially those concerned with signs of aging, acne, irritations, eczema, dermatitis, dryness and more.
The RARE INDIGO® Benefits:
– delivers youth-enhancing hydration and optimal moisture balance for a healthy complexion
– calms inflammations, acne, eczema, rosacea, dermatitis and other skin irritations
– lowers oxidation damage in stressed tissue
– promotes skin’s natural healing abilities
– restores elasticity to dull, prematurely aging skin
– helps to fade wrinkles, age spots and reduce puffiness
– empowers long-term skin health
How well does it work?
This balm works really well. I have used it on my arms, on patches of eczema, and on my face. I use it after I wash my face and apply my acne treatment. I find that my face feels soft and supple after using it. The balm really penetrates the skin and doesn’t leave behind a greasy residue at all.
I actually like this balm-type skincare product better than my beloved facial oils. I find the application to be easier. I don’t put too much on, as is often the case with facial oils. My face is not left feeling oily, it drinks up the balm and feels lovely.
This is an excellent product, I give kudos to Maryna for creating such a unique, multi-use skin treat. I truly love the ingredients.
The inclusion of murumuru butter is genius, it gives this product its “balmy” texture, and I love that it has similar skin healing properties as coconut oil, without clogging my pores. This balm is wax-free, making it vegan-friendly.
I love facial oils, but they are being pushed aside for now, in favor of using the Rare Indigo. I find the balm much easier to apply just the right amount, without going overboard (facial oils with pump dispensers are especially bad for letting out too much product).
This 30 ml jar is going to last me months, even though I use it every day. I love the smell, it is very floral, but I find it intoxicating. It smells a little like May Lindstrom’s Blue Cocoon. I asked my friend what she thought of the scent, and she said she found it too floral (she’s kind of a tom-boy). So not everyone will like the scent.
- soothing color and alluring scent
- impeccable ingredients
- works on all skin types
- wax free
- small company
- clinically proven anti-aging ingredients (Coenzyme Q10 and Vitamin C)
- the scent may be too strong or floral for some
I give this balm a 9/10. It is an amazing product with clinically proven anti-aging ingredients and high-quality plant oils. I am in love with Rare Indigo, my new fave moisturizer.
Where Can You Get it?
Mahalo Online Store
USA: The Detox Market
Canada: The Detox Market
UK and International: Alyaka (they also offer samples of Mahalo)
Have you tried any of Mahalo’s products? If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below.
Yours In Beauty,
*p.s This post contains affiliate links, if you click and buy, I receive a small commission (thank you). This was a free product given to me. I am totally honest in my reviews.