It is easy to treat puffy eyes naturally with a little bit of knowledge and the right products.
What Causes Puffy Eyes?
Puffy eyes are the result of fluid buildup under the eyes. Allergies, salty foods, internal dehydration and alcohol consumption can all exacerbate the problem.
How to Prevent Puffiness
- Sleeping on your back with your head propped up on a couple of pillows will help prevent fluids from building up under your eyes.
- If you are dealing with allergies, an air purifier can help by eliminating dust mites and other allergens. Change your linens frequently.
- Drink enough water to prevent dehydration. Avoid dehydrating drinks such as coffee.
- Avoid too much salt.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before bed, alcohol leads to fluid retention in the face.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes, as this will make it worse.
- Handle your face with care. Avoid tugging and stretching the skin around your eyes, it is fragile and will show the signs of aging quickly.
- Reduce device time right before bed. Computer, cell phone or tablet screen usage before bed can cause eye fatigue and puffiness the next day.
Treating Puffy Eyes
Treatments include staying hydrated, applying something cold to the eye area, preforming regular eye massages, and using a cream containing caffeine ( Tip: keep your eye cream in the refrigerator).
Drinking plenty of water flushes the area and causes the swelling to go down. Drink water before bed and again upon waking.
Use a Cold Cloth
It is commonly suggested that you use a cold slice of cucumber or teabags on your eye area to get the puffiness to go down. This is not what I recommend.
Cucumber, tea bags, or other food products can harbor bacteria that we do not want getting into our eyes. The best thing to use is a clean washcloth that has been run under cold water.
Run your cloth under cold water and apply gently over your eye area. When the cloth begins to warm, run it under cold water again. Keep doing this until the puffiness has subsided.
Eye Area Massage
Try an eye area massage, to get the fluids moving.
Eye massage increases the blood circulation to your eyes, helping bring oxygen and nutrients to your eyes. Your under eye skin will be replenished with antioxidants from the oils and your eyesight will be improved from the increased circulation.
- Start with clean hands.
- Put a drop or two of oil ( I like using apricot kernel oil) on your pinky and massage under you eyes with gentle, circular motions.
- Ensure you use gentle and even pressure.
- Perform this for a few minutes every day.
Eye creams containing caffeine work well for the eye area. That is because caffeine constricts blood vessels and reduces swelling.
A well formulated eye cream is your best defense against under eye puffiness, wrinkles and dark circles (along with using a sunscreen). An eye cream will keep your eye area hydrated, thus reducing wrinkle formation.
100% Pure Coffee Bean Eye Cream contains an abundance of caffeine from coffee as well as green tea. It will help reduce puffiness and under eye circles.
If you make use of preventative measures you will reduce the likelihood of getting puffy eyes. If you do end up with puffy eyes, you will be able to effectively treat it with the tips we gave above. By far the best method is to put a cold cloth over your eyes to bring down the swelling and to use a daily eye cream, to help keep the skin around your eyes the healthiest it can be.
How do you treat under eye puffiness? Do you have any products to recommend?
Yours In Beauty,