Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Last week’s article was a short biology class into the functions of the skin as the largest organ, and the importance of dry brushing it each morning before showering. Now that you know the benefits, I thought I might help you guys pick the right brush for your skin.
The market is flooded with various dry brushing tools, and while at first glance they all look pretty similar, at the second already you see the differences between them and your hair goes up! What do I choose? Soft or hard bristles? Synthetic or natural? Bamboo or plastic? Worry no more! I have got the ultimate guide on dry skin brushing, one that’s going to save you some money too, so when reading about each product, click on the links to see the best offers too.
Some final details before getting to the products:
Choosing a dry brush with the appropriate bristle strength for your skin is very important to avoid irritation.
- Soft-bristle brushes are ideal for beginners because you can learn the proper techniques for dry brushing without irritating your skin. As you grow more comfortable with dry brushing, you can expand your collection to include firmer bristles. For sensitive areas of the body such as the face, neck, chest, stomach, and breasts, use a brush with extra-soft bristles.
- Medium-bristle brushes are great for general body brushing. However, this type of brush should not be used on the face.
- Firm-bristle brushes are best used by experienced dry brushers. An extra-firm brush also works well for removing dirt from beneath your nails.
Some dry brushes don’t have a handle. Instead, they feature a small strap across the back of the brush head that fits securely around your hand. Due to the lack of a handle, you’ll have trouble reaching all areas of your body with these types of brushes.
Many dry brushes do have handles, but the length varies. To ensure that you’ll be able to access even the most hard-to-reach spots on your body, consider a dry brush with a handle that is at least 16 inches long.
If you want the best of both worlds, look for a dry brush with a detachable handle. You can leave the handle in place when you’re brushing your back and other areas, and you can remove it for more control when you’re going over your legs or arms.
Some dry brushes come as part of a set that includes more than just one brush.
- If you want to brush your face in addition to your body, look for a set that offers a soft-bristle brush for your face and a medium or extra-firm brush for your body.
- You can also find dry brush sets that include a wet brush. This can be used with soap or shower gel for additional exfoliation.
Some dry brushes come with a box or bag for storage as well, so you don’t have to worry about your brush collecting dust between uses.
- Pain is a signal that something is wrong. You should never feel pain when you use a dry brush. If you do, lighten the pressure.
- Never dry brush over areas of your body that have a rash, broken skin, or other irritations.
- To avoid irritating your skin, use your dry brush only two to three times a week.
- Dry brushing should take approximately five to 10 minutes per session. Avoid brushing your skin for too long, as the prolonged exposure to friction could cause irritation.
- Dry brush before you shower or bathe, not after. That way, you can rinse away the skin flakes when you’re done.
- Apply a hydrating oil or some natural cream to your skin after you’ve finished brushing and have rinsed your skin well.
The Best Dry Skin Brushes
For those looking for the best all-purpose dry brush, Vive’s Shower Body Brush is the perfect solution. The clever double-sided design means you don’t have to choose between soft or hard bristles—select the best one for each use. The sturdy, 17-inch handle makes it easy to clean even hard-to-reach areas. Suffering from pain or limited mobility in the neck and back shouldn’t limit you when it comes to taking care of your body. The extra-long handle of Vive’s Shower Body Brush is designed for easy access to those hard to reach areas, so you can enjoy smooth, pampered skin from head to toe, without having to tie yourself in knots. The textured, easy grip handle makes this brush easy to use before or during your shower. Use the hard bristles to exfoliate dry skin on the lower legs, and the softer bristles to gently increase blood flow to sensitive areas like the arms and stomach.
- Great value for money without compromising quality
- Hard bristles exfoliate dead skin cells for soft, smooth skin
- Suitable for wet or dry brushing
- Nonslip grip ideal for shower use
- Attractive lotus wood design for a spa feel
- Cord loop makes storage easy and can be looped over the wrist to prevent dropping
- The waterproof handle is resistant to mold and mildew
- Brush has hard and soft bristles
- Bristles may not be stiff enough for some users
When it comes to getting the ultimate scrub, SpaVerde’s got your back (every pun intended). The SpaVerde Dry Brush is built to provide users with many skin benefits. The body brush is hand-made and created with natural boar bristles. Don’t let the boar part fool you, however, as this responsibly-made brush is cruelty-free! With this body brush, users will also get additional tools with their purchase including a body brush, a face brush, a bonus storage and travel linen bag, and easy-to-follow printed instructions. Needless to say, this product makes the perfect care package for a relaxing spa day at home and also makes the perfect gift for someone (as it comes in quality packaging).
- Features a body and face brush
- Linen bag for easy transport
- Beautiful packaging makes an excellent gift
- Softer bristles than other dry brushes—best for sensitive skin
Moving on to the next product on the list by ZEN ME. Just like the last product, the ZEN ME Vitality Brush is also made of boar bristles and comes in a complete care package! With its natural boar bristles, the body brush is the ultimate exfoliator and effectively buffs away dead skin, stimulates collagen production, and boosts circulation to improve elasticity and skin texture significantly. By using this brush, you should expect to see improvements in your skin texture and the minimization of cellulite, blackheads, and stretch marks in just a matter of days, resulting in you having incredibly smooth, radiant, and soft skin.
- Elastic hand strap for easy grip
- Long, curved handle reaches your back easily
- Exfoliating gloves ideal for shower use
- The 12-inch handle may not be long enough for those with mobility issues
This dry brush features a detachable head, making this one of the most versatile brushes out there. When traveling, simply leave the long handle at home! The bristles on this brush are just right—not too soft and not too hard—making this a good choice for most skin types. Featuring Tampico fibers derived from the unbleached stem of an agave plant, stroking the bristles in upward motion sloughs away dead skin cells and encourages blood circulation.
- Choice of long or short length
- Medium-strength brushes perfect for full-body use
- Easily portable
- When detached from the long handle, there is no hand support on the brush
If you struggle to maintain a secure grip, some body brushes can be difficult to use. This brush’s wide, curved handle is designed for a comfortable grip, making it a safe bet if you suffer from arthritis. With a cotton loop for hanging and shed-resistant bristles, this is one of the most user-friendly ways to tackle cellulite and clogged pores. What you should note about the product is that a few customers have said that the texture of the bristles took some time to get used to. If you have pretty sturdy skin or can handle a more durable scrub, then we recommend looking into this product.
- Long handle for extra reach
- Wide, easy grip
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- Not suitable for use in the shower
C.S.M comes onto our list with their hand-held body brush. The C.S.M Dry Body Brush contains high-quality features to ensure you get a relaxing and invigorating scrub. The body brush is made with natural boar bristles that are perfectly firm without being rough enough to scratch your skin. The brush’s easy to hold design is very ergonomic, making the brush comfortable to use with your hand. The brush is also very versatile, meaning you can choose to do a pre-shower exfoliation or give yourself a myofascial massage in the shower with the brush’s built-in massage nodes! This body (and face) brush can be used either wet or dry. The choice is yours!
- The versatile brush can be used wet or dry
- Features massage nodes for added comfort
- Elasticated strap for ease of use
- Hard bristles not suitable for very dry or sensitive skin
This handy palm brush proves that sometimes simplicity is best. The well-thought-out brush comes with a travel bag and a handy hook, making this ideal for use at home and away. Amazon reviewers rate this all-natural brush just shy of five stars for its quick performance (results have been seen in as little as three days). Its versatility is appreciated as well: It comes with a detachable handle to get those hard-to-reach spots.
- Comes with a stick-on hook
- Ideal size for traveling
- Can be used dry or wet
- Some users may not find the version without the handle useful
For a real at-home spa experience, look no further than this set by Minamul. This ultimate dry brushing starter kit includes a 17-inch body brush, a back loofah, a facial brush, and a konjac sponge. The beautiful packaging makes it the perfect gift for a friend or relative.
- Long detacsponge gently smooths your complexion
- Konjac sponge gently smooths your complexion
- Choice of harder and softer brushes for different parts of the body
- Face brush may be too hard for sensitive skin
Do you guys have any experience with dry brushing? What did your skin have to say after the first time? Share your experiences in the comments below.
To Your Smooth Skin,