Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
The Best Recipe for a DIY hair Mask
Do you struggle with dry, damaged hair? A lot of us do. It can be difficult to keep our lovley locks free from environmental damage. Using styling products can dry the hair out, as well as heat from curlers, straight irons and blow dryers.
The good news is, we don't have to give that all up to have healthy hair. We simply need to add nourishment and hydration back into the hair proteins.
In this article we will show you how easy it is to make your own hair mask and completely revitalize the hair and scalp, providing the support that the hair needs to stay strong and healthy.
What are the Benefits of a Hair Mask?
I was pleasantly surprised after doing some research for this article on how effective, and beneficial a hair masks can be. Not only are they super simple to make, they are totally affordable and can completely improve the health of your hair.
Most of your ingredients can be found right at home in the cupboard and fridge. To name but a few, yoghurt, honey, olive oil and avocado are all superb hair mask ingredients- So you don't need to stock up on exotic ingredients in order to make yourself an effective hair mask.
DIY hair care is sensationally popular. We have looked deep into why people keep making their own hair care products and why they are loving the results. Here is what we have found:
- Deep conditioning: the nourishing ingredients in a mask will serve to close the hair’s cuticle, leaving dry, over processed hair looking super shiny and feeling soft to the touch.
- Avoid Toxins: Usually the first reason we consider DIY hair care is to have control over the ingredients we put on our bodies. Many store bought products contain chemical profiles that are hazardous to our health.
- Prevention: With regular hair masks, you start to prevent damage. The hair becomes strong and healthy giving you a better fighting chance at environmental deterioration.
- Luster: Not only will the hair begin to repair and actually become healthier, the appearance will be nothing short of vibrant, shiny and totally lustrous.
This recipe consist of the most popular and effective natural ingredients from around the web. These 3 ingredients are used in most DIY hair care regimes.
What you need:
How to prepare your ingredients:
Drop all ingredients into a bowel. Wisk until ingredients are fully combined.
Apply to damp hair: The best way to apply your new hair mask is to first drape a towel over your shoulders. This can be a little messy. I prefer to use a turkey baster to drop the product onto my scalp, slowly working the ingredients from root to tips of the hair.
Once you have covered your hair and scalp completely, tie up in a top bun (if you have long hair) and leave on for 15 minutes.
Rinse your hair well after the time is up. I like to rinse in the shower. I advise doing your hair mask on a weekend or a day where you will not be going to work or a special event.
You will have some residue left over. Give yourself a "buffer" day to rinse clear again. Go back to your regular routine. Include a hair mask twice a month for 2 months, and then reduce to once a month.
After you have washed out your mask, and dried your hair, you will instantly have revitalized hair, improving each time you do another mask.
Benefits of the Ingredients
- Egg Yolk: Hair is mostly made up of proteins and amino acids, and this combination means that egg yolk for hair is the perfect method of boosting the hair’s supply of necessary nutrients. Eggs contain a large amount of protein as well as fatty acids and vitamins to strengthen hair.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has the ability to absorb deep into the hair strands and will help increase your hair’s flexibility and hydration. It also smooth's frizz and helps hair be more manageable.
- Honey: It has rich antioxidant properties which prevent damage. Honey is also an emollient which means it seals moisture in your hair, keeping it conditioned. This reduces breakage, which is often a cause for slower hair growth.
What a simple, affordable and effective way to improve dry and damaged hair. I love DIY recipes that really work.
I have included a hair mask into my hair care regime for about 3 months now. My hair is vibrant and healthy looking. I continue to get comments on how shiny and full of life it is. I even think my hair is growing faster.
I also feel more confident when using my hot tools, including my straight iron and blow dryer. It feels fantastic to have a simple solution for radiant hair!
Be sure to share the love with your friends! You can also leave your comments or questions below 🙂