Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
To prevent body odor caused by the bacterial breakdown of perspiration in the armpits, we use deodorants. It is important to know what is in your deodorants or antiperspirants.
Most drugstore deodorants cause terrible chemical leakage into the body through the bundles of lymph nodes found under the arms. This includes Propylene glycol, parabens, triclosan, TEA & DEA, and aluminum. These chemicals have been linked to breast cancer, organ toxicity, and endocrine disruptions. All of which can be avoided simply buy making your own skin care.
Making your own deodorant has many advantages, you will not only avoid harsh chemicals in the regular drugstore brands, you will also get to enjoy a long lasting homemade skin care product that works.
DO they Work?
Unquestionably! Yes natural deodorants work. However, if you have been using a heavy duty antiperspirant, you will need to allow the underarms to detox, this process of switching can be helped by reapplying your new homemade deodorant more frequently at first. You can then ween down and use it as you would any regular deodorant.
All these ingredients are natural. We chose the most effective combination of ingredients to treat and prevent odor. keeping you just as comfortable using your homemade deodorant as any drug store brand.
Ingredients you Need for Your
Coconut Oil Deodorant Recipe
- Coconut Oil. known for many health benefits, coconut oil is an essential ingredient for your homemade deodorant. It kills bacteria that causes odor, acts as a poultice further helping detox the armpit, as well it hydrates the cells and keeps our underarms healthy. (Purchase)
- Magnesium Oil. Because magnesium oil has a low PH level, it is great for keeping odor blocked. *You will want to be sure you mix your magnesium oil with all the ingredients and not use it alone, as it is too strong undiluted. (Purchase)
- Raw Shea Butter. High in Vitamin E, shea butter will moisturize the underarms, as well shea butter is a waterproofing wax, helping keep your deodorant on longer. (Purchase)
- Bentonite Clay. Pulls away impurities, chemicals, and metals from the skin. (Purchase)
- Arrow Root Powder. It is a completely natural alternative to silica, talc or talcum powder. Arrow Root has deodorizing qualities and is antiseptic. It is smooth like baby powder making it so wonderful to use in a sensitive area. (Purchase)
- Niaouli (Melaleuca) Essential Oil. Helps boost the immune system, A great topical benefit. Similar to Tea Tree Oil, it helps fight bacteria. (Purchase)
- Lime Essential Oil. It helps cleanse the lymphatic system, and helps stimulate and purify the glands. Great for any toxicity in the underarms. With an added bonus, Lime essential oil is uplifting to the emotions and smells refreshing. (Purchase)
- Lemon Essential Oil. often used in house cleaning products for its cleansing and disinfecting qualities. It has a bright fresh scent, keeping your underarms clean. (Purchase)
- Grapefruit Essential Oil. Because it is another citrus, It is a great airborne disinfectant when diffused. It will also disinfect topically. I make a spray deodorant with just Grapefruit Essential Oil and Witch Hazel for a quick freshen up. (Purchase)
- Empty Deodorant Containers. (Purchase) These are limited recycled, made in the US, and BPA Free
- * All purchases we recommend in this recipe are of the highest quality and meet our standard as the best product you can buy.
Coconut Oil Deodorant Recipe
- 1 tablespoon magnesium oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons raw shea butter
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons bentonite clay
- 5 drops niaouli (melaleuca) essential oil
- 5 drops lime essential oil
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- 5 drops grapefruit essential oil
1. Melt the coconut oil and shea butter in a double boiler. Remove from heat when melted.
2. Mix in the arrowroot and clay into the wet mixture with an Immersion Blender. An Immersion Blender will flawlessly mix the oil and solids together. This gives us perfect emulsification.
3. Let the mixture cool for about 20 minutes.
4. Very slowly pour in the magnesium oil while you are blending. Keep mixing until you get a nice creamy texture.
5. Drop in your essential oils and mix again for about 1-2 minutes.
6. Immediately poor your lovely mixture into the container you will be using it from. I personally like the traditional deodorant stick tube.
7. Let sit for 2 hours or store in the fridge for half the time. I often leave my homemade deodorants in the fridge ( maybe that's gross) but I find the cool product prevents me from sweating first thing in the morning while I get ready for work 🙂
Want to Learn More About the Ingredients used in this Recipe?
We absolutely want to use natural, safe deodorants to protect our lymph nodes that are abundant under the arms, linking to the whole lymphatic system and the immune system. The conventional deodorants and antiperspirants have attributed to the astonishing increase in breast cancer. It is such a simple change switching out your conventional deodorants and making your own. Plus its super fun!
I know you will love this recipe. All the ingredients are going to work hard, keeping you free from odor. We all sweat differently, especially considering our diets or health issues. keep in mind that some of us may only apply our deodorant once a day, while others require more. I often use mine twice in a day.
If you are having excessive sweating issues for an unknown cause or health related concern, I highly recommend a much more effective sweating detox method. Using Infrared Heat Therapy. It will help release any chemical buildup in the body, clearing the pathways from which we perspire, reducing bacteria that causes the odor. I recommend reading our article: Best Infrared Sauna for Amazing Health Benefits
Please leave any questions or comments you might have and we would love to respond!
To a Bright and Beautiful you,