Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
For some reason, our hair isn’t always treated the best. Sure, we might use shampoo and condition, but what about all the heat? All the styling? All the products?
Looking after our hair is so important, as it’s so easy for split ends, dryness, and breakages to occur.
However, did you know that sometimes the products that we think are cleaning and protecting our hair, are actually worse for us?
We’ve been thinking of new ways to improve the health of our hair, especially as the colder months head our way. So, we thought we’d list out favorite natural shampoos and conditioners, as well as some little hints and tips on how to find the perfect hair care.
Good Ingredients for Your Hair
So, what ingredients are suitable for your hair? What should you look for on those labels? We’ve researched it all for you.
- Coconut Oil - The is the go-to natural hair care product. If you see any product that has this infused in it, it’ll more than likely make your hair feel silky soft. You can even just use this, as is, as a hair mask.
- Green Tea - This helps to promote hair growth when applied to the roots. It’s also anti-inflammatory and encourages the regeneration of hair.
- Ginseng - Another excellent ingredient for its anti-inflammatory benefits
- Argan Oil - This helps to hydrate and soften your hair. It helps lifeless hair to look, well, more alive.
Now that we know the beneficial ingredients to look out for, what should we avoid at all costs?
Bad Ingredients for Your Hair
We’re all blissfully unaware that our favorite shampoos and conditioners contain toxic ingredients. These are:
- Sulfates - Sulfates are used in many shampoos, as they, admittedly, are excellent at removing dirt and oil. However, they are harsh on your hair and strip away the natural moisture that your hair has - leaving your hair to feel dry and unhealthy.
- Parabens - These are xenoestrogens, this means that they mimic hormones that are found in the human body. They are believed to disrupt hormones and cause many problems.
- Fragrances - The problem with feragrances is that you don’t really know what they are. Essential oils offer natural scent and are disclosed on the ingredients list.
- Polyethylene Glycol - Another ingredient that’s thought to interfere with the natural process of the body. Organic lovers avoid this ingredient at all costs.
These ingredients are generally used in hair care to give your short-term benefits, for a low price.
The Best Budget Natural Shampoos and Conditioners
The Puracy Organic Hair Care set has been developed by doctors - it gently cleanses all hair types, and leaves hair deeply hydrated.
Of course, it’s completely organic (we wouldn’t be raving about it if it wasn’t). The power of plants enables you to detangle, clean, and hydrate your hair - leaving it silky smooth, and non-greasy.
It doesn’t contain any kind of harsh chemicals like sulfates or parabens.
If you’re searching for a shampoo and conditioner set that’s not only vegan, gluten and cruelty-free - but also free from any nasty chemicals and ingredients. This could be your best option.
The Acure Organics Mega Moisture duo uses pumpkin seed and argan oils, that clean and leave your hair looking shiny.
Pumpkin seeds help to promote hair growth, this is due to their high levels of zinc, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and magnesium.
The fantastic Avalon Organics Clarifying Shampoo and Conditioner set helps you to wash away any kind of impurity, without stripping away your hair color or shine.
In fact, this duo set can restore your natural highlights - making your hair look skin kissed and healthy.
Of course, this product doesn’t test on animals and is entirely organic.
It’s a beautiful mixture of lemon essential oil, aloe, quinoa protein, and vitamin E.
I personally use this shampoo all the time! It works really well for anyone with hard water, product buildup, or dreadlocks.
You’ve more than likely heard of the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar by now.
The incredible Wow Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo and Conditioner set claims to increase shine and hydrate. They also promise to eliminate the possibility of an itchy scalp, dandruff, and frizz - it’s an excellent option for anybody who deals with these issues.
It also has no sulfates or parabens, which, as we discussed, are incredibly toxic.
This shampoo and conditioner will enrich your hair with essential keratin proteins, vitamins B5 & E - helping to maximize hair strength and slow down hair loss.
Alba Botanica Drink It Up Coconut Milk, Hawaiian Duo Set Shampoo and Conditioner
Alba Botinaca makes good natural products at an affordable price point. They do not do animal testing and the Drink it Up Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner are free of parabens, phthalates, damaging sulfates, and drying formaldehydes.
This shampoo is mainly targeted at dry or thirsty hair - helping to hydrate, moisturize, and improve your hair to regain that youthful glow.
It’s also high in fatty acids, that strengthen the cuticle. This helps to reduce the chance of split ends.
We hope this helps you find your next organic shampoo and conditioner. Living a plant-based life doesn’t mean you have to neglect your hair.
You can still have healthy, looking locks, and live an organic life. In fact, cutting out non-organic products from your hair care will only benefit you greatly.
Have you tried any organic versions of shampoo or conditioner? We love to know which ones have worked best for you, or if you have suggestions of various ingredients that are great for dry or oily hair. We love seeing your opinions and questions.
Thank you for reading!