Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Highlighters can add instant radiance to your skin, giving a youthful glow by enhancing and awakening your complexion.
Highlighters are most flattering when they mimic the natural way fresh, healthy, plump skin looks when sunlight bounces off of it. And to achieve this, you must first find a highlighter that; one, works with your skin tone; and two, won't look like a glittering runway on your face - think finely milled particles.
Highlighters, like all cosmetics, may contain toxic ingredients. You don't want this, which is why we have done the research and found all-natural, non-toxic highlighters that you can feel good using.
How to Choose a Highlighter Color
Use the jewelry test, do you look best in gold or silver jewelry?
- If gold jewelry flatters your skin tone, look for highlighters with a copper, gold, or warm bronze tone.
- If your skin looks best with silver or platinum jewelry, look for a highlighter with silver tones, or pale pink.
- Neutral or warm-pink tones complement most skin tones.
- Pale to medium skin tones look best in champagne and apricot tones.
- Skin with a hint of sallowness should opt for more pink in their highlighter.
- Olive and dark skins should look for more bronzy, golden highlights.
Be wary of too much glitter or sparkle, it will look too obvious and fake.
Cream, Powder or Liquid?
- Cream textures are amazing on bare skin or over a liquid or cream foundation.
- Powder highlighters are great to use after another powder such as blush or bronzer, or after you’ve set your foundation with a light setting powder.
The Top 5 Natural Highlighters of 2019
RMS Beauty: Living Luminizer
An ultra translucent luminizer with a satin-pearl finish. This formula highlights the skin with a luminous glow, enhancing the skin's natural youthfulness without being sticky, greasy, or glittery.
RMS Beauty Living Luminizer is a best seller, because it suits all skin tones, offers a natural look, and has a creamy texture that won't break you out. The beautiful white, high impact sheen goes on in thin, build-able layers with absolutely no glitter or shimmer.
Maya Chia: The Highlight of the Day Illuminating Serum
An ultra-lightweight, easily absorbed infusion with suspended minerals for a pearlized sheen. The sheen is noticeable but subtle, accentuating your natural radiance.
This highlighter serum provides some iridescent shimmer without being too glittery. One drop will highlight all areas of your face so the bottle will last a long time.
You will enjoy the mild citrus aroma and the nourishing ingredients, including the fantastic Chia seed oil.
[Read: Our Maya Chia Brand Review]
Maya Chia Highlight of the Day Serum comes in four shades:
- Afternoon Delight: Peachy-pink golden sheen.
- Happy Hour: A cool-toned pink radiance.
- Golden Hour: Warm, golden, champagne-like radiance.
- After Hours: Bronzed-golden glow.
Rituel de Fille: Rare Light Luminizer
Rituel de Fille's Rare Light Luminizer is everything you want in a highlighter; amazing pigment, smooth application, and flawless blending. Each shade imparts an ethereal glow, with a highlight that subtly shifts to reveal a remarkable depth of color.
The pigments are so finely milled that there are no globs of glitter and the light bounces off of it perfectly.
Rituelle de Fille's Rare Light Luminizer comes in six shades:
- Anthelion: a subtle red-orange highlight
- Ghost Light: a cool-toned pale pink and a shift of violet-blue
- Phosphene: a soft, pale beige glow with a hint of peachy-blush shift
- Lunaris: moonlight at your fingertips, hauntingly beautiful blue-shifting opal
- Solaris: sunlight in a flash of warm, soft, radiant red fire within translucent opal
- Stellaris: cool-toned 24 karat gold with translucent opal shift that reveals mesmerizing depths of warm iridescence
Rituel de Fille also makes one of our favorite cream eyeshadows.
Alima Pure: Mineral Highlighter
Alima Pure's powder highlighter gives a natural, beautiful glow without being too shimmery. A little goes a long way, making this an economical product. This highlighter is perfect for anyone looking for just mineral pigment, with no oils or fillers.
Alima Pure's Highlighter Powders come in three shades:
- Dolce: Copper gold for warm and olive complexions.
- Whisper: Sheer pink for cool and neutral complexions.
- Lumina: Beige-y peach, perfect for most skin tones.
Vapour Organic Beauty: Halo Illuminator
Herbal ingredients including wildcrafted Frankincense, Tulsi and Lotus help soothe, calm, and protect the skin. This highlighter stick is breathable, lightweight, and blendable, all without clogging your pores!
The Vapour Halo Illuminator gives a subtle, healthy-looking glow, without being too glittery or sparkly. It can be worn with a face full of makeup, or all on its own. It is the perfect finish to any look - it goes on almost invisible, but catches the light beautifully and adds just the right amount of shimmer.
There you have it, 5 of the best natural highlighters of 2019! I hope you enjoyed this article, if you did, please share it with your friends!
What is your favorite way to use highlighter? If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below! We always answer 🙂