Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Our baby’s spend a lot of time wrapped up in fabric, and this can lead to redness, irritation, and inflammation. It’s very important to use natural and organic skin care on our baby’s bottom because their skin is so sensitive and eager to absorb whatever we put on it. [Read 15 Toxins in Your Personal Care Products] These toxins are also found in many of our baby skin care products.
Making your own natural baby care products will ensure that you are providing the safest products for your baby. Natural ingredients are always the best alternative to a chemical or synthetic product. Not only are they totally safe, it allows you to customize your product to meet your baby’s specific needs.
Another wonderful consideration to homemade baby care products is that natural ingredients work far better than an artificial alternative. Ingredients like shea butter and coconut oil are considered exceptional for soothing and healing. Natural oils derived from plants, nuts and seeds can combat such uncomfortable skin conditions including eczema and diaper rash that can cause our baby’s such distress.
You will want to store your baby balm in glass jarsI recommend these great jars for your finished product
Absorption through baby’s skin
Like mentioned above, our skin, as well as baby’s, will absorb what we put on it. Each product to a different extent. Depending on the molecular size of the ingredient. If absorption doesn’t happen, topically the skin is affected. We want to be aware, to avoid toxins transdermally penetrating and reaching the blood stream. We know that the body is capable of this with such products on the market as nicotine with quitting smoking patches and topical medications.
We can choose to have our skin absorb healing and beneficial ingredients that will combat our skin concerns or we can choose to use products that we have not been educated on, being more susceptible to illness over time.
Our baby’s endocrine system is constantly changing during this vast growth period. Studies have shown that some of the toxins in our baby’s skin care products have hormone disrupting effects. Something we want to completely avoid considering our baby’s health is dependent on us making the best choices.
Best Homemade Diaper Rash Cream Recipe
This is a simple yet very beneficial recipe you will find yourself reaching for each diaper change. This recipe is cloth diaper friendly and has only 5 ingredients. This baby cream recipe is full of nourishing ingredients that will provide and prevent any irritation your baby’s skin might have. This recipe is a healing balm, providing moms with a great product they can trust and get results.
A little about the beneficial ingredients
- Shea Butter: Unrefined, organic shea butter is a healing butter extracted from the nuts of the shea tree. Used for centuries because of its anti-inflammatory properties and deep moisturizing benefits, shea butter will provide soothing relief for eczema, diaper rash and cracked skin. Shea butter will protect the skin, helping prevent further irritations.
- Coconut Oil: Super rich in omega 3 fatty acids, providing a deep nourishing moisturizer for the skin. Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial with a molecular structure that will absorb deep through the layers of skin healing from the inside out.
- Beeswax: Unlike the artificial and often petroleum based chemicals added to many moisturizers and skin care lotions to aid in absorption, beeswax contains Vitamin A and provides long-term moisturizing, actually locking moisture into the skin. Unlike petroleum based parabens, beeswax remains biologically “alive” even after it is processed. There are many skin benefits from beeswax, our baby’s skin including anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory properties. Beeswax can actually soothe easily irritated skin, making it one of the best skin care ingredients for those who suffer from allergies or other skin problems like diaper rash or eczema.
- Roman Chamomile: This flower provides the skin with soothing and calming benefits. It can calm eczema, rashes, and inflamed skin. Chamomile speeds healing and prevent bacterial infection. It is so gentle but so potent that our baby’s skin will respond wonderfully to it.
- Lavender: Lavender oil is widely known as a healing oil, it works wonders on harsh skin conditions and is gentle enough to use on baby’s skin. Lavender will help speed healing, calm irritation, soothe hot or burning skin, all of which are caused by rashes and skin irritations.
DIY Best Homemade Diaper Rash Cream
Ingredients: ( Click the links to get our best recommended ingredients)
- 2 Tablespoons of Beeswax
- 3 Tablespoons of Shea Butter
- 3 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 5 Drops Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- 5 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- *Note, all ingredients must be unrefined, raw, organic and therapeutic grade.
Step 1: Add your Beeswax to a small saucepan. Melt at a low-medium heat.
Step 2: Add your Shea butter and Coconut oil next and let melt. You can slightly stir your mixture.
Step 3: Poor your mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Cover with a cloth and let cool.
Step 4: My favorite part, Whip it up! Use a mixer and whip your formula into a creamy, buttery consistency. 5-7 minutes. This is also the time you can add your essential oils. Add 5 drops each in between mixing.
Step 5: Spoon your mixture into your clean glass jars. Put in on the shelf and in your diaper bag.
Now you can enjoy your safe and effective homemade diaper rash cream!
If you enjoyed this recipe for your baby, why not treat yourself to your own Mommy Whipped Coconut Body Butter Recipe 🙂