Our baby’s spend a lot of time wrapped up in fabric, and this can lead to redness, irritation, and inflammation. It’s essential to use natural and organic skincare on our baby’s bottom because their skin is so sensitive and eager to absorb whatever we put on it. [Read 15 Toxins in Your Personal Care Products].
Making your own natural baby care products, including homemade diaper rash cream is super rewarding because you know exactly what is going on your baby’s skin, and you can customize it to your own liking.
Natural ingredients work just as well as synthetic and chemical ingredients, and they are much more gentle. Ingredients like shea butter and coconut oil are considered exceptional for soothing and healing. Natural plant oils can help combat uncomfortable skin conditions such as eczema and diaper rash.
Our skin absorbs some of what we put on it; we know this because nicotine quit-smoking patches work. We have the choice to use natural and organic ingredients to minimize the toxins we apply and ultimately absorb on our skin. Also, our baby’s endocrine system is continuously changing during their first few years, making them more susceptible to the potentially hormone-disrupting effects of certain ingredients such as parabens.
About the Best Homemade Diaper Rash Cream Recipe
The following diaper rash cream recipe is a beneficial yet straightforward recipe that is cloth diaper friendly and easy to make.
The ingredients used will help provide nourishment and prevent irritation to your baby’s skin.
About the Beneficial Ingredients
- Shea Butter: Unrefined, organic shea butter is a healing butter extracted from the nuts of the shea tree. Shea butter has been used for centuries because of its anti-inflammatory properties and profound moisturizing benefits. Shea butter will provide soothing relief for eczema, diaper rash, and cracked skin. Shea butter will protect the skin, helping prevent further irritations.
- Coconut Oil: Super rich in omega 3 fatty acids, providing a deep nourishing moisturizer for the skin. Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, with a molecular structure that will absorb deep through the layers of skin healing from the inside out.
- Beeswax: Unlike the artificial and often petroleum-based chemicals added to many moisturizers and skincare lotions to aid in absorption, beeswax contains Vitamin A and provides long-term moisturizing, actually locking moisture into the skin. Beeswax remains biologically “alive” even after it is processed. There are many skin benefits from beeswax for our baby’s skin, including anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory properties. Beeswax can soothe easily irritated skin, making it one of the best skincare ingredients for those who suffer from allergies or other skin problems like diaper rash or eczema.
- Roman Chamomile: This flower provides the skin with soothing and calming benefits. It can calm eczema, rashes, and inflamed skin. Chamomile speeds healing and prevent bacterial infection. It is so gentle but so potent that our baby’s skin will respond wonderfully to it.
- Lavender: Lavender oil is widely known as a healing oil; it works wonders on harsh skin conditions and is gentle enough to use on baby’s skin. Lavender will help speed healing, calm irritation, soothe hot or burning skin, all of which are caused by rashes and skin irritations.
DIY Best Homemade Diaper Rash Cream Recipe
Ingredients: (Click the links to get our best-recommended ingredients)
- 2 Tablespoons of Beeswax
- 3 Tablespoons of Shea Butter
- 3 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 5 Drops Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- 5 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- *Note, all ingredients must be unrefined, raw, organic and therapeutic grade.
Step 1: Add your Beeswax to a small saucepan. Melt at low-medium heat.
Step 2: Add your Shea butter and Coconut oil next and let melt. You can slightly stir your mixture.
Step 3: Pour your mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Cover with a cloth and let cool.
Step 4: My favorite part, Whip it up! Use a mixer and whip your formula into a creamy, buttery consistency for 5-7 minutes. Add your essential oils one at a time between mixing.
Step 5: Spoon your mixture into clean glass jars. Put in on the shelf and in your diaper bag.
Now you can enjoy your safe and effective homemade diaper rash cream!
If you enjoyed this recipe for your baby, why not treat yourself to a Whipped Coconut Body Butter Recipe ?