Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Babassu oil is relatively new to the beauty world, but it is quickly becoming more and more popular, especially as an alternative to the beloved and trendy coconut oil.
In this article you will learn about the benefits of Babassu oil for the skin and hair, where to buy it, and how to use it, as well as a list of products containing it.
A Solution For:
mature, severely dry, damaged and problem skin.
About Babassu Oil
Babassu oil is extracted from the seeds of the babassu palm (Attalea speciosa). This palm tree grows in the Amazon region of South America. The tree is native to Brazil and is a valuable resource for that region. The seeds of the tree are sustainably collected and support economic growth.
The oil is extracted from the small coconut-looking fruits using a cold press method. The babassu palm is a productive plant, producing up to 2000 fruits in one year.
Babassu oil is similar to coconut oil in that it is solid at room temperature, has a high lauric acid content, and is incredibly moisturizing. There are a few key differences that give this oil an edge over coconut oil:
- Babassu oil is not pore-clogging like coconut oil is, it is lightweight, absorbs easily, and does not leave a greasy feel like coconut oil can.
- Babassu oil has a very faint, nutty and earthy scent that is sometimes preferred over the coconut smell of coconut oil.
- Babassu oil is softer and more fluffy than coconut oil.
The fatty acids present in Babassu oil help to restore the skins barrier function as well as reduce trans-epidermal water loss. It is a highly versatile emollient suitable for an array of skin care applications. It is non-greasy and absorbs quickly, providing moisture and protection. The oil has similar benefits for the hair and scalp.
Babassu oil is usually a light yellow color when it is in liquid form and creamy white in solid form.
Babassu Oil Skin and Hair Benefits
- Contains glucosides, vitamins, and fatty acids that help soften hair and makes it supple.
- Conditions curls and minimizes hair frizz.
- Lauric acid makes this oil anti-bacterial.
- Excellent for the lips, nails, hair and scalp.
- Won't clog pores, making it an excellent substitute to coconut oil for acne-prone skin.
- Gently moisturizes the hair without leaving an oily sheen or weight.
- Easily penetrates the skin withing leaving a greasy film.
- As it melts on the skin, it offers a cooling sensation.
- Forms a protective, soothing, invisible barrier on the skin.
- Mixes well with other oils and butters.
- Moisturizes the hair and scalp.
- Vitamin E content tackles free-radical damage and the signs of aging.
- Balances dry and oily skin.
- Soothes skin irritations, such as: eczema, itchy, dry and inflamed skin.
- Has a long shelf life of up to 2 years.
Omega Fatty Acids, Antioxidants, and Phytosterols
Fatty Acid Composition:
- Lauric Acid: 40-48%
- Myristic Acid: 15-20%
- Palmitic Acid: 7-11%
- Oleic Acid: 10-15%
- Linoleic Acid: 2-4%
Lauric acid is antimicrobial, meaning it kills viruses and bacteria. It is also absorbed very well by the skin and hair. Lauric acid is the main saturated fat contained in human breast milk, it is what gives breast milk it’s immune boosting properties.
Oleic acid is a heavy and slow drying fatty acid. It is especially great for people with dry, thirsty skin. It helps regulate sebum production.
Linoleic acid is a light, fast-absorbing, nourishing fatty acid. It reduces clogged pores, while providing anti-inflammatory, moisturizing and healing support.
Vitamin E content: 19.1 mg/100g
Babassu oil contains vitamin E, a potent antioxidant that is essential for the proper functioning of the skin. Vitamin E boosts collagen production, helping to maintain skin elasticity and prevent wrinkle formation.
Babassu oil contains 95 mg / 100 g of phytosterols.
Plant Sterols are compounds that stimulate pore detoxification and strengthen the skins natural lipid barrier, protecting the skin. They leave the skin feeling soft while reducing inflammation and delaying the aging process. Phytosterols boost collagen production and help the skin retain it’s moisture.
How to Use Babassu Oil
Where to Buy Babassu Oil
I buy my Babassu oil on Amazon because they offer free shipping.
Dr Adorable: Top Rated Babassu Oil
Pure, Organic, Cold-Pressed Babassu Oil by Dr. Adorable.
As you can see, Babassu oil is an important ingredient for use on the skin and hair. Many people turn to Babassu when they find coconut oil is not working for them. With it's rich moisturizing properties and skin soothing effect, it's no wonder this oil is quickly rising in popularity.
Try Babassu Oil Today!
Have you used Babassu oil? If you liked this article, be sure to share it with your friends! Leave your comments and questions below, we always answer.