Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Dandelions are a beautiful herb that often get overlooked as a weed, quickly to be stomped out and removed from the front yard. However, you might be surprised that this flower has amazing benefits for the skin.
All the parts of the dandelion plant can be used in various ways through the roots, leaves, and flower. Submerging the whole plant into good quality H2O to make a tincture can help the skin in many ways.
What makes Dandelion amazing for the skin is its ability to detoxify. When the skin is detoxified, the pores stay clearer and the complexion has a chance to heal.
Dandelion is a great herb to use for acne prone, combination and sensitive skin types, including eczema.
Benefits of Dandelion for the Skin
- Antioxidants: High in Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, makes dandelions a great topical treatment for fighting free radicals and the signs of aging skin.
- Minerals: Dandelions contain potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. The root is particularly rich in mineral concentration. These minerals will hydrate the tissues and support the functions of the skin.
- Vitamins: Vitamin A, B6, C and K all help support the skin's function and help fight free radicals.
- Antifungal and Germicidal: The milk or sap from the stem of the flower is useful in treating skin diseases which are caused by microbial or fungal infections. It's high alkaline levels help fight off infection in the skin's tissues, including itching, eczema and the bacteria that promotes acne.
Dandelion for Acne Treatment
Dandelion juice, being a stimulant, diuretic and detoxifier in nature, can help regulate proper secretion of hormones, increase sweating and widen the pores. These factors help to facilitate the removal of toxins through sweat and urine.
Furthermore, dandelion sap, if topically applied to areas with acne, can inhibit microbial infection and reduce the frustrating signs of acne.
Also, it can speed up healing due to its vitamin-C content, so the scars and red inflammation that traditionally follow an acne treatment will be less noticeable.
How to Use Dandelions for Skincare
Option 1: Gather Flowers
You can harvest your own dandelions to make your own tinctures or skin care blends. If you want to gather your own, find an area that has not been sprayed with pesticides or any lawn care treatments. I also suggest picking away from a busy road.
There are many beautiful fields with healthy dandelions for the picking. Use a small garden shovel and take the whole plant, including a part of the tap root that lies under the dirt. You only need 2-3 whole flowers per small batch of tincture. Pick your dandelions when they are in full bloom with the yellow flower.
Clean your dandelions under cool water until they run clear of dirt. You are now ready to prepare the skin care blend of your choice.
Option 2: Purchase Dandelion Herb
Purchasing whole, organic dandelion herbs. All the work is done for you. Simply use the dried herbs in your skin care blend.
Making a Dandelion Skin Care Blend
Whatever you choose, fresh hand picked dandelions or dried store bought organic herbs, you can make a potent skin care blend.
Its important to note that the high content of minerals from dandelions is water soluble, so mixing your dandelions in oil will not work.
Simply use water to make your tincture, and spritz the nutrient rich blend on the face and neck area. I like to spray my hair, as these minerals and vitamins are also great at repairing the proteins that make up the hair strands.
Step by Step Dandelion Tincture:
- Step #1: Add one cup of dried dandelion herb or 2-3 whole plants to half a quart jar.
- Step #2: Fill the jar with boiling water, leaving an inch of room to spare.
- Step #3: Let your mixture stand for 3-4 days.
- Step #4: Strain your mixture and add it to a dark glass spay bottle.
- Step #5: Spritz your detoxifying dandelion tincture on your freshly washed face and in your hair daily.
Including dandelions in your everyday skin care regime is very simple. There is an abundance of flowers available all around us during the harvest season. Your skin will detoxify, keeping the pores clear, removing bacteria that cause acne and moisturizing the skins tissue layers.
This is one of the easiest recipes in skin care that packs a punch. Be sure to share with your friends and spread the love like a weed!
To a Bright and Beautiful you,