Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
People have an assumption that the only way to get curls on your head is if you use the different types of heating tools. A lot of people have embraced these tools to the point that they use them every day of their lives.
Unfortunately, you have been continuously opening doors for your hair shafts to get weakened. By exposing your shafts to excess heat, you rise the cuticles from the surface thus making them lose the moisture that keeps them healthy.
The good news is you don't need fancy barber shop tools such as curling irons if you are in dire need of the perfect curls you saw in a particular magazine.
You can use tools you have lying around your house to get that beach look you always yearn for.
Here a few methods to make your hair curly without exposing it to the likes of curling irons.
Bantu knots are a natural and effective method for getting those springy curls you plan on having. Moreover, you can apply the technique on any hair texture. After a fortnight, you will be one of the lucky people to have achieved this look.
- Wash and condition your hair and let it dry to approximately 80%. This means your hair is slightly dumped when you start the process.
- Take a small section of your hair, apply hair gel on it and twist it around itself until it makes a twisted bun that resembles a rope.
- Secure the knot with bobby pins or small hair ties.
- Repeat this until you're your hair is all knotted up
For best results, apply before going to bed, and make sure that you sleep in a shower cap to retain the moisture throughout the night. In the morning, undo your curls and use your fingers to comb through. Finish with your favorite natural hair spray.
Before you embark on this style, wash your hair with a volumizing shampoo.
- Part your hair into two and work on each section at a time. Make a pigtail of the first part and twist it until it resembles a rope. Ensure that you wrap the rope around itself to make a bun.
- Secure it with pins. Repeat the process on the other section of undone hair.
- Once your hair is dehydrated, undo the twists by running through your fingers.
A sock bun is another way of tying our hair whereby the hair is pulled away from the face and wound around itself in a circular coil. You can do this with your hair either twisted for better curls. Depending on how tight you tie it, you can have either short or long curls. For best results, prepare your bun in the evening and sleep in it.
Ever wished to use classy methods to have perfect waves on your head? All you need is to pin your hair around before you get to bed. In the morning, remove the pins and enjoy the look!
A headband is a beautiful way to get gorgeous curls.
- Wet your hair and ensure that you detangle it using a wide-toothed comb
- Take your headband and pull it over your head until it rests well on your forehead (ensure that it is touching your skin)
Your curls will start forming where the band rests. You can adjust it accordingly. Ensure that you wrap the hair around the band in accordance with your desired size. The essential thing is to let the curls dry on the headband for cute curls.
Paper Towel Curls
The other way to get your curls is by using paper towel roll instead of the conventional heat rollers.
- Dampen your hair with a water spray bottle, or a have a quick wash.
- Take a few inches of your hair and roll them around the middle of the paper towel. Roll it upwards towards your scalp.
- Secure your hair by tying down the paper towel.
- Sleep in your rolls until the next day when you undo them.
- Finger comb them and finish with hair spray to hold the curls.
Scrunching is a very effective method to get perfect curls. The main items are gel, volumizing shampoo, and a towel.
- Wash and condition your hair.
- Squeeze out excess water and scrunch your hair in an upward motion using your gel until you have the look you like.
- Do this at night and sleep in it, or do it right after your morning shower.
Using excess heat on your hair is a quick way to damage it. You need to stop this habit and prepare curls with better and gentler methods as explained above.
Protecting your strands from direct heat could be the only way to achieve the ultimate look of bouncy locks. The above 7 methods are easy and effective, thus the more reason to try them out for yourself.
Check out our article on overnight oil treatments for the hair so you can add another method of hair nourishment to your repertoire.
Duncan has been in the writing profession for a decade now. He has great experience writing informative articles and his work has been appreciated and published in many popular publications. His education background in communication and public relations has given him a concrete base from which to approach different topics in various niches.