Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
Combination skin can be the peskiest of them all! You’re not totally oily, you’re not totally dry, you’re in a skin limbo. You often find yourself with a lot of products which don’t help or make the situation worse.
I feel ya! I have it too. So I’ve searched and searched for some of the best natural face masks to eliminate the look of combination skin and make it all one texture, color and just generally beautifully radiant!
What is Combination Skin?
My skin is the epitome of combo skin. I have an oily nose, forehead, and chin (referred to as the T-Zone) and then dry parts scattered around my face too especially around my eyebrows! Why?!
So sometimes I want to apply oil-based products to the dry parts and dry skin products to the oily parts- for some reason, this doesn’t work either!
Like many people, the dry patches get worse in the winter as the dry, cold weather dehydrates the skin. And in the summer months, the greasy skin comes out to play and many of us start to shine brightly in the sun- in a bad way.
People with combination skin are more likely to have acne and larger pores too.
Reasons for Combination Skin
Typically, skin type is inherited from your parents, so you can thank your Mom and Dad for your pesky skin.
However, there are some things you could be doing or as I said, the climate, which is making your skin situation worse. Some reasons could be:
1. Bad skincare products: cheap, chemical-laden products and lotions that are not for your skin type could be aggravating the situation. They could be too oily or not have enough moisturizing factors/ingredients making your skin really unbalanced.
2. Not going au-naturel: maybe you’re loading up on the harsh lotions and potions to help your skin but perhaps going for natural ingredients is better. Natural ingredients have fewer toxins and are gentle on the skin.
3. Diet: your diet might be having a profound effect on your skin. Ever heard of the term “you are what you eat?”. Well, eating oily foods will make your skin, you guessed it- oily. Not drinking enough water and drinking too many dehydrating beverages (ahem… the two C’s- coffee and cocktails) perhaps are drying out your skin.
4. Climate: As mentioned earlier, windy, dry and cold climates will dry out the skin. The sun also will do this. However, the hot and humid weather will make some areas oily. Changing seasons can also make your skin freak and do all sorts- breaking out, drying out, be ultra-sensitive and getting even more oily and so on. So really, you have to change your skincare routine to suit each season. But that’s not necessary if you have some perfect skin-balancing face masks for every time of year.
5. Exfoliating: we’re told by many beauty articles to exfoliate the crap out of our skin. While exfoliating is amazing for anti-aging, getting rid of zits, etc, doing it every day stimulates oil production because you disturb nature’s balance of natural oils (same with washing your hair). So exfoliating 3-4 times a week is enough.
And breathe. After that list, you may feel that solving combination is an unsolvable mystery. Don’t worry! Read on for the skin-changing natural and super cheap masks to try at home!
So let’s get into the nitty-gritty, shall we?
3 Top Faces Masks For Combination Skin
1. Clay Saves the Day With a Touch of Milk
-1 tablespoon clay
-Add full-fat milk to the clay powder to make a medium-thick paste.
Mix the paste until consistent and make sure it’s runny enough for you to apply on the face but not too runny either! Apply a thin layer on your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and dab dry with a soft towel.
Clay: clay is great for combination skin as it powerfully absorbs excess oils and toxins while leaving skin smooth after washing off.
Milk: Milk has been used for hundreds of years as a natural and potent moisturizer for the skin. So the milk works to hydrate those dry spots.
The Oil Controller With Coconut Oil and Avocado
-1 tablespoon coconut oil
-1/2 ripe avocado
With a fork, mash the half of the ripe avocado until it’s lump-free. Mix in the coconut oil and until the green paste is consistent. You can add tea tree oil if your skin is inflamed plus it smells awesome. Apply and massage the mixture onto your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. This will allow the mask to penetrate deeply into the skin delivering essential nutrients to the cells and also unclog pores.
Coconut oil: this gorgeous stuff is by far the best ingredient for every skin type. It’s full of fatty acids that deeply hydrate skin cells, making your skin look plump and totally eradicates dry areas. It’s anti-oxidant rich which makes it ideal for anti-aging. It also helps cure acne.
You may be confused as to why you should put oil on oily skin but coconut oil is special as it doesn’t leave the skin excessively oily. Just remember to wash off the mixture well and the oil will simply moisturize your face.
Avocado: Again, avocado lubricates the skin cells without causing the skin to become oily which will take care of the dry areas and not worsen the oily patches.
Sweet & Sour With Lemon & Honey
– 2 tablespoons of honey
– 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (freshly squeezed is better)
Mix these two nutritious and powerful ingredients together and apply it evenly over your face. Allow the mixture to dry (leave it on for 10 minutes). Wash it all off and dab face with a soft towel.
This mask should be combined with other masks to get amazing benefits.
Honey: it’s a fantastic natural moisturizer. Organic is even better. It also has antiseptic and antibacterial properties so it will repair the dry and flaky skin whilst helping acne.
Lemon: this superb sour fruit gives skin that extra glow, so it’s fantastic for the winter months when skin looks sad and dull. It lightens and tightens! Making skin appear brighter and it shrinks pore size. If you have super sensitive skin and if the skin feels inflamed, wash it off immediately and calm it down with some magical aloe vera.
There are some wonderful tricks to make face masks work even better:
1. Know your skin type: make sure that you know your skin type.
2. Steam: give your face a good old steam before doing the mask so your pores are nice and open ready to absorb nutrients.
3. Dab: never, ever harshly rub your face after you wash it. Always gently dab with a soft towel.
4. Exfoliate: there isn’t much point on working on your skin if there is a layer of gunk over it. Exfoliate 3-4 times a week for face masks to do their job.
5. Repeat: you’re not going to get amazingly radiant skin after one face mask, so repeat or combine the masks and aim to do them 3 times a week. You can do it while reading, cooking, watching TV… maybe not at work but still it’s super easy to do!
6. Go coconuts with coconut oil: If the dry parts, let’s say “survive” after the face masks, add a tiny bit of coconut oil before applying makeup and just leave it on for the day or overnight.
Thanks for reading and I hope this provided you with your daily dose of skinspiration!
About the Author:
Bio: Rachel Xavier is the co-founder of Age Beautifully Skincare and is the writer of 2 successful skincare books. Her passions are beauty and nutrition so she has dedicated her life to bettering the lives of others through her knowledge, website and personal advice. She wants women to feel sassy and confident at any age so she has taken health and nutrition courses and reviewed numerous products to make sure she is your trustworthy go-to beauty gal. Get to know her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or connect with her on Facebook or Pinterest.