Our eyes contain the most delicate skin on our body. The under-eye area and eyelids can be easily irritated by the products we use, I know this from personal experience.
We all want a way to combat the fine lines and dark circles that we experience around our eyes. Essential oils offer us a natural way to renew our skin, but we need to know what essential oils are safe for use on this delicate area.
The best essential oil for eye wrinkles will combat the signs of aging while being gentle enough to put near our eyes. It will stimulate collagen production and keep existing cells healthy. It will reduce inflammation and even the tone of the skin.
Using Essential Oils Safely Around the Eyes
First off, THEY MUST BE DILUTED. This is important.
Secondly, your essential oil + carrier oil blend should only be used sparingly around the eye area, avoiding very close to your eyes and should not be used on the eyelid. Under the eye and on the sides of the eye are fine, but never the eyelid. If you get an essential oil into your eye, you can flush your eye with milk to emulsify the oil, then flush the milk out with water.
It is best to apply your eye serum in the morning, as the oils can trap in moisture during the night and leave you with puffy eyes in the morning.
Essential Oils for the Eye Area
There is a small bundle of oils that are excellent for anti-aging (Read about them here). The ones that can be used safely around the eye are:
- Helichrysum – promotes healing.
- Geranium – regenerates the skin.
- Carrot seed – fights crows feet and revitalizes the skin.
- Frankincense – useful for age spots and reduces wrinkles.
- Rose – improve elasticity and firmness, reduces dark spots.
- German chamomile – soothes, very high in antioxidants, reduces puffiness
- Lavender – does all of the above.
Some excellent carrier oils for an eye area blend are:
- Argan oil – excellent anti-aging properties (learn more here)
- Jojoba oil – a fabulous hydrating oil (learn more here)
- Avocado oil – great for those with dry skin
Which is the Best?
Lavender is the best essential oil for eye wrinkles. It is gentle, soothing, anti-inflammatory, brightening, improves elasticity and regenerates the skin. It is also very affordable. Lavender is the best because it does all the things that other essential oils can do, all in one oil.
=> Read “Where to Buy Lavender Oil” <=
Recipe for you own Eye Serum
- Take 2 teaspoons of your carrier oil (Argan, Jojoba, or Avocado)
- Add a few drops of carrot seed oil (get it here)
- Add one vitamin E capsule if you are under 45 and two vitamin E capsules if you are over 45 (get them here)
- Add 2 – 4 drops of your chosen essential oil (get lavender oil here)
Blend the carrier oil, carrot seed oil and Vitamin E capsules together. Add your essential oil. Mix well and apply a small amount gently around the eye area. Leave on for a bit and wipe off any excess.
A More Gentle Approach
You can use hydrosols or herbal infusions on your eye area for a safer and more gentle treatment. Chamomile, lavender or rose hydrosol put on a cotton ball and held over a closed eye will give your skin nourishment from these plants. They will soothe the eyes and help get rid of infections as well as fight the signs of aging.
You can also choose to just use a plant oil such as Argan or Jojoba and avoid using essential oils all together.
You can safely use essential oils around the eye area, you just need to apply sparingly and be careful not to get any in your eyes. Essential oils make a great anti-aging tool because of their potent antioxidants and skin nourishing properties. Try out the above recipe and let us know how it works 🙂
What do you think? Are essential oils safe to use around the eyes?
Yours In Beauty,