10 Best Anti-Aging Essential Oils
- German chamomile
- Clary sage
Essential oils are concentrated extracts taken from plants. Plants contain potent healing compounds that can benefit our skin.
Plants contain chemical compounds that protect them from the sun and insects, promote growth, create scent and other life-enhancing effects.
The best anti-aging essential oils are going to contain lots of antioxidants and special compounds that target the needs of the skin to prevent wrinkle formation.
Wrinkles are a natural result of aging. Collagen and elastin in our skin break down as we age, causing lines to form in our skin. Free radicals from UV rays and environmental pollutants wreak havoc on our skin, destroying collagen and elastin. Antioxidants combat these free radicals, and reduce the damage they cause.
By topically applying potent, antioxidant-heavy oils to our face, we can help our skin retain its healthy and youthful appearance. We can’t stop the clock, we will still age (and that is ok), but we can age more gracefully and keep our skin hydrated, plump and full of life.
Best Essential Oil Brand
There are literally thousands of companies making and selling essential oils. It can be hard to know which brands to trust.
There are Multi-Level-Marketing companies such as Young Living and DoTerra. I prefer to shop from small companies that have a smaller profit margin (keeps them honest).
My favorite brand is Rocky Mountian Oils (RMO). They are committed to bringing you high-quality, therapeutic grade essential oils at affordable prices.
Tips on Using Essential Oils
- Always dilute EO with a carrier oil or a toner.
- A little goes a long way, only a few drops are needed to see results.
- The following oils can be used in a carrier oil to make your own skin oil, or mixed with your toner.
- The dosage is: 3 – 5 drops to 1 tablespoon carrier oil.
- Use 1 drop of essential oil on a cotton ball with your toner.
The 10 best anti-aging essential oils
These are chosen based on their effectiveness at reducing and preventing fine lines as well as their ability to hydrate and maintain the integrity of the skin. They are in no particular order:
- Promotes healthy cell regeneration
- Keeps existing skin cells healthy
- It improves skin tone
- Lessens the appearance of scarring
- Can help eliminate sun spots
- Helps with micro-wrinkles
- Tightens the skin
- Has been shown to combat cancer (source)
Medium-strength balsamic, rich, warm, slightly spicy, sweet, and woody
Oily and Mature Skin
- Moisturizing to the skin
- Reduces inflammation and redness
- Tones and lifts the skin
- Reduces look of fine lines
- High in antioxidants
- Helps heal broken capillaries
- Minimizes scarring
Strong floral, sweet
Dry and Mature Skin
Look for Rose Otto if you want a pure rose essential oil (rose absolute is extracted with solvents). It is expensive, but worth it. You can also get rose oil diluted in a carrier oil for a more affordable price.
- Balances sebum production
- High in antioxidants
- Fights skin infections
- Anti-bacterial and anti-septic
- Stimulates and tones the skin
- Excellent addition to a facial toner
Medium-strength intensely sweet, floral, and rich
- Increases skin elasticity
- Tones all skin types
- Excellent for stretch marks and scars
- Enhances skin immunity
- Combats bacteria
- Soothing and calming
Strong rich, floral, and tea-like
Dry or Mature Skin
Jasmine is a pricey essential oil. Stay away from cheap jasmine oil, as it will not have therapeutic effects.
- Regenerates skin cells
- Prevents scarring
- Excellent for aging skin
- Tightens and tones sagging skin
- Useful for eczema, acne and sunburn
- Smooths fine lines and wrinkles
- Regulates sebum production
- Works as a scent-fixative, it will extend the life of your scent blends
Medium-strength rich, herbaceous, musky, earthy, and spicy
Oily or Mature Skin
- Softens the skin
- Helps skin retain moisture
- Historically used to treat infections
- Helps treat dry or chapped skin conditions
- Relieves itchy skin
- Cools and soothes the skin
- Can reduce age spots
- Fades wrinkles
Medium-strength woody, earthy, and slightly balsamic
Dry or Mature Skin
- Healing and calming to the skin
- One of the gentlest essential oils
- Hydrates and protects
- High Chamazulene content gives it soothing and anti-inflammatory poperties
- Reduces redness and the appearance of broken capillaries
- Soothes acne, stings, rashes and burns
- Moisturizes dry skin
- Contains potent antioxidants
Strong warm, sweet, and herbaceous
- Softens scars
- Improves skin elasticity
- Stimulates new cell growth
- Prevents and treats stretch marks and scars
- Promotes wound healing
- Balances skin oils
Strong sweet, floral, citrusy, and fresh
Sensitive or Mature Skin
- High antioxidant content
- Helps regulate sebum production
- Reduces inflammation
- Tones the skin
- Cleanses pores
- Stimulates blood circulation to the surface of the skin, helping your skin to fight infections and stay healthy
- Natural deodorizer
Medium‐strength musky, herbal, sharp, and warm
Oily or Combination Skin
Medium-strength rich, balsamic, warm, and earthy
Essential oils are an excellent addition to your skin care routine. Whether you are adding them to a carrier oil or a ready-made moisturizer, or you are making your own skin care, essential oils can increase the effectiveness of your anti-aging routine.
Essential oils are powerful sources of the antioxidants that keep your skin looking young. They can soothe the skin and calm inflammation. They can fight infections and stimulate new cell growth.
Remember to buy your essential oils from a reputable company. That way, you are guaranteed to be satisfied with your purchase.
rocky mountain oils is the best
What is your favorite essential oil? Mine is in the comments below 🙂
Yours In Beauty,