Tightness, flaking, and itching can all be symptoms of dry skin. Homemade facial masks for dry skin can bring relief and comfort to those suffering from dryness, whether your skin is dry from the cold winter air, or you have consistently dry skin.
These simple recipes can be made at home and will work well at bringing much needed hydration to your thirsty facial skin.
The first mask recipe is my own creation and the three masks following have been adapted from the book, Natural Beauty Alchemy (available on amazon) <- affiliate link.
I have included Amazon affiliate links within the recipes so that you can purchase the ingredients from Amazon if you so desire 🙂
Super Nourishing Mask for Dry Skin
This is a mask that I have created myself for times when my skin is feeling tight and dry, it is very easy to make and doesn’t contain any special ingredients.
Avocado is excellent for dry skin as it is high in healthy fats, honey pulls moisture to the skin, banana is high in potassium and helps reduce dryness and yogurt helps break down dead skin cells. Oats add body and also soothe the skin
- 1/2 of a ripe banana
- 1/2 of a ripe avocado
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp yogurt (use the high fat stuff)
- up to a tablespoon ground oats
- Mash banana and avocado with a fork or blender
- Add the honey and yogurt
- Grind oats in a food processor, add a little bit at a time to the avocado and banana until it reaches a consistency that you can apply without dripping.
- Apply to your face and leave on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water, and pat your skin dry.
Exfoliating Mask for Dry Skin
A super easy mask that doubles as an exfoliate. Oats are used to soften the skin as well as exfoliate, almond oil is an excellent source of vitamin E, whole milk is a source of fat and helps to lock in moisture. The added vitamins create a nourishing as well as anti-aging blend.
- 1 teaspoon almond oil
- 3 tablespoons ground oats
- 3 ounces (100 ml) whole milk
- 10 drops (0.5 ml) vitamin E
- 10 drops (0.5 ml) vitamin B5 (optional)
- 1 capsule coenzyme Q10 (optional)
- Pour almond oil over the ground oats.
- Add milk gradually over the oil and oats until it becomes a paste-like texture.
- Use a dropper to add the vitamin E and B5. Then break open the capsule of coenzyme Q10, and add it’s contents to the mixture.
- Mix well.
- Use this mask on a clean face. Apply to your face and neck, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for 20 minutes.
- Remove by rubbing the mix away with your hands and warm water. Pat your face dry.
Brighter Complexion Mask
Skin- brightening vitamin C and sun-damage reducing avocado combine into a mask that is high in polyunsaturated fatty acids. This mask will reduce sun spots and rejuvenate the skin. Use when the seasons are changing and sun exposure is low.
- gauze strips
- 1/2 ripe white peach
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground oats
- Start with preparing your gauze strips. Lay the gauze in double layers and cut 4 rectangles for the forehead and neck and 4 circles for the cheeks.
- Mash the peach and avocado with a fork. Add the lemon zest and juice, mix everything well. Sprinkle the ground oats in to thicken the mixture and prevent dripping.
- Spread the mixture onto your prepared gauze strips.
- Place the gauze over the forehead, cheeks and neck. You may also just apply the mixture to your face without the gauze, just make sure it doesn’t get in your eyes.
- Leave the mask on for 15 minutes – remove sooner if you experience bothersome tingling.
- Remove gauze pads and rinse well with warm water.
- Pat face dry with a clean towel and always follow with a moisturizer and high-SPF sunscreen (the lemon juice is phototoxic) – even in the winter.
- Use this mask weekly for a couple months, for the best results.
Winter Rescue Mask
Winter is harsh to our skin. Every skin type feels the drying effect of winter, but dry skin feels it the most.
This mask contains cream cheese, which will restore moisture and protect the skin from dryness. The rest of the ingredients are there to revive the skin. Wheat germ oil is very nourishing, grapefruit juice is loaded with vitamin C, egg white tightens the skin and supports collagen.
- 2 ounces (60 ml) full-fat cream cheese (softened; see below)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 20 drops (1 ml) wheat germ oil
- 20 drops (1 ml) grapefruit juice
- 1 egg white (optional)
- gauze strips (optional)
- If you are using gauze strips, prepare them first by laying the gauze in double layers and cutting 4 rectangles for the forehead and neck and 4 circles for the cheeks.
- Soften the cream cheese at room temperature – do not microwave.
- Flatten the cream cheese with a fork, then add the remaining ingredients one at a time, mixing with a fork.
- Spread with a spatula onto a clean face and neck, directly or between layers of pre-cut gauze strips.
- Wait 15-20 minutes before removing gauze strips and rinsing off.
- Use this mask on a weekly basis. Follow with a moisturizer and sunblock.
What is your favorite dry skin mask? Do you have any recipes to share?
Yours In Beauty,