Don't Skip The Aftershave
Aftershaves are an important step in skincare, especially after you've used a razor on the skin. Aftershaves work in two ways:
- Aftershaves will soothe the skin after the razor has lightly "injured" the skin.
- Aftershaves prevent ingrown hairs and infected follicles. You can calm and heal the hair follicles by moisturizing and using bacteria fighting oils.
In this article you will learn how to make a very simple, effective aftershave that is perfect for moisturizing and soothing the skin.
Why Bother to Make your Own?
Making your own aftershave gives you the advantage to customize your skincare. You can avoid the additives that come in many drugstore aftershave products. You also get to create an aroma that is pleasing to you.
The goal is to moisturize the skin and keep the area free of bacteria. Many store-bought products have alchohol which dries the skin and doesn't help heal the follicles, but causes ingrown hairs by drying the area out.
Making your own aftershave is a great way to personalize your skincare, using oils that are specially selected for healing nicks, cooling burns and toning the skin.
Essential oil Aftershave Recipe
* Always patch test all your oils before you use them on your face.
This Essential Oil aftershave blend is ideal for all skin types. It is gentle enough for combination skin but powerful enough for problem skin types including oily, blemished and dry skin.
The Essential Oils chosen create a seductive, masculine aroma with earthy tones and moisturizing properties, perfect after a shave.
- Jojoba oil. 3 ounces
- Essential oils.
- 4 ounce dark glass bottle.
- Bay Rum. 5 Drops. Bay Rum is a very popular oil for men's skin care. It tones and softens the skin. It has a spicy herb aroma.
- Sandalwood. 5 Drops. Regulating the production of sebum, Sandalwood helps tone and tighten the skin while moisturizing, and reducing the shine of oily skin. Sandalwood also reduces the discomfort associated with flaky, and irritated skin. *Substitute Sandalwood with Blend of Sandalwood as an alternative because it's an expensive oil.
- Cedarwood. 6 Drops. A great woody scent that helps with concentration. Cerdarwood is great for the early morning shave to keep the mind sharp.
- Cinnamon Bark. 2 Drops. With a warm and comforting aroma, Cinnamon Bark can rejuvenate the mood and stimulate blood flow to the skin, helping heal nicks and scraps after a shave.
- Jojoba oil. 3 ounces. Jojoba oil is going to be your carrier oil, the base of your recipe. It is extremely moisturizing to the skin and can penetrate deep into the follicles to help prevent ingrown hairs.
- Pour 3.5 ounces of Jojoba oil into your 4 ounce dark glass bottle.
- Drop your Essential Oils into the jojoba carrier oil.
- Shake your blend well and store at room temperature, out of direct sunlight.
Use your new Aftershave recipe immediately after your shave. You will find that the skin is deeply moisturized and soothed. The aroma is very masculine and spicy.
Rocky Mountain Oils
You can buy all your supplies from our #1 recommended choice in quality oils.
Have you tried your own Aftershave recipe? Do you know anyone that would love this recipe? Leave us a comment and share with your friends.
To a Bright and Beautiful you,