This essential oil is also known as Moroccan blue chamomile and Moroccan tansy. This essential oil has a medium-strength warm, herbaceous, sweet, soft aroma. The word tansy comes from the Greek word athanaton. The parts of the plant that are used to make this essential oil are the leaves, flowers, and stems, and they are steam-distilled. The leaves are 10-15cm with 50-100cm stems on which there are button-like yellow flowers.
Although there are different species in the genus Tanacetum, the essential oil that is extracted from the Tanacetum annum species is the one that is found to be most helpful. The azulene content is what gives the oil the deep vivid blue color. Aromatherapists consider blue tansy essential oil important for damaged, inflamed and burned skin, bruises on your skin, and sunburn.
One thing to note is that blue tansy is most effective when used in concentrations of 5% or less. To achieve this, blue tansy must be mixed with a carrier oil such as sweet almond or apricot kernel. Blue tansy blends well with other essential oils such as pine, lavender, cedarwood and rosemary.
It is important that you dilute blue tansy essential oil with a carrier oil before using it on your skin. The reason that it must be diluted is that it is an essential oil, which means that it is very strong. You should also try it first on a small spot on the skin because some people are sensitive to blue tansy.
Chamazulene, B-Myrcene, Camphor, Sabinene, B-Eudesmol, 3,6-Dihydrochamazulene, B-Pinene, a-Phellandrene.
Analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, antispasmodic, antiviral, immunostimulant.
Blue Tansy Essential Oil Skin Benefits
Blue tansy essential oil skin benefits cover a wide variety of skin problems such as bruising, sunburn, damaged and inflamed skin, dermatitis, and dry, itchy skin. This essential oil has many different properties which help these skin problems.
- Anti-allergenic properties—this will help to neutralize and stop histamine production, to reduce your skins reaction to allergens which cause rashes. Just apply it to the area of the affected skin and it will help to relieve the itchiness and redness.
- Anti-microbial—Blue tansy essential oil has both anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. If you have suffered from a minor cut, burn, abrasion, or insect bite, apply a few drops of diluted blue tansy to the affected area, as it will stop the growth of bacteria, and alleviate the pain.
- As an anti-fungal, it helps to treat fungi which could lead to skin infections.
- Dermatitis—This skin condition causes you to have irritated, red, dry, flaky skin that itches. Blue tansy’s anti-inflammatory properties will help to fight this inflammatory skin condition and help to relieve the redness and itchiness. It can also help to prevent flare-ups.
- Acne—With this skin condition, there is an excess production of sebum, which clogs the pores of your skin. Eventually they become infected by bacteria, which leads to the formation of pimples. To help speed up healing, apply blue tansy to the area, leave on a few minutes and then rinse off.
- Insect repellent—Applying it to your skin will help to prevent bites from mosquitoes, fleas, bedbugs, and other biting insects.
- It can help to cure skin infections like scabies, along with the itching due to the antibacterial properties.
- It can be used as a home remedy to get rid of bruises and freckles.
- Add a few drops to your bathwater to soothe your skin if it is dry and itchy, or for sunburned skin.
- Helps to relieve stress that can cause skin breakouts.
- Helps to promote sleep, which your body needs to give you glowing healthy radiant skin.
- Treats athletes foot.
- Treats ringworm.
- Moisturizes and soothes dry, irritated, and flaky skin and improves your skin’s overall appearance.
- Skin irritation—The nourishing compounds in blue tansy essential oil will give your skin the essential nutrients that it needs to support healthy normal skin. Just apply a few drops to the area of your irritated skin.
- Blue tansy essential oil will nourish your skin, keeping it flawless, soft, and smooth.
Essential oils don't just benefit the skin, they also have an effect on our emotions. Blue tansy induces relaxation and can help ease nervous tension and stress.
- Ease nervous tension and anger.
- Soothes everyday mental fatigue.
- Sweet, fresh scent.
- Can help to curb impulsive behavior.
- Can help one to “go with the flow”.
- Use blue tansy essential oil in a diffuser to encourage a calm, worry free environment.
- Although considered safe to use while pregnant you should still first check with your physician.
- It could interfere with certain medication like antibiotics, antidepressants, antihistamines, and antipsychotics.
- It should not be used by anyone with Parkinson’s disease or epilepsy because of its high camphor content.
- It can potentially stain your skin and clothes due to its thick ink-like viscosity and strong blue color.
What is the Best Essential Oil Brand?
We love Rocky Mountain Oils because they offer high-quality, tested oils and great customer service.
Oil for Damaged Skin Recipe
- 10 ml sesame oil
- 10 drops helichrysum essential oil
- 6 drops blue tansy essential oil
Mix everything together into a dark glass dropper bottle and shake well before using.
Blue Tansy Massage Oil Recipe
- 7 drops blue tansy essential oil
- 3 drops patchouli essential oil
- 4 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
Add essential oils to a 2 ounce bottle. Fill the bottle with apricot kernel oil. Massage onto sore muscles (2% dilution).
How do you use Blue Tansy essential oil? Do you have any recipes to share? Leave a comment below, we love to hear your stories 🙂 If you enjoyed this article, share it with your friends!
Yours In Beauty,