Combination skin essentially has 2 different skin types, oily and dry. You need to find products that are gentle and work for both zones – and then spot treat as necessary.
I will share with you my recommended routine for this skin type and then give you a shopping list of recommended products as well as links to relevant articles.
Combination Skin Anti-Aging Routine:
If you want a good anti-aging routine, you need to cleanse, tone, use a jam-packed serum, and moisturize. You need some anti-aging products such as glycolic acid to remove dead skin cell buildup and collagen stimulating ingredients such as vitamin C or peptides. You also need a sunscreen to prevent further sun damage to your skin.
- Cleanse with a gentle, but effective cleanser. Use in the AM and PM.
- Use a balancing toner over your whole face. Tone after every cleansing.
- If you are prone to breakouts in your oily zones, use a toner containing glycolic, lactic or salicylic acid on those spots. Do this after every cleansing.
- In the AM use a water-based serum that is jam-packed with antioxidants. In the PM use a Vitamin C serum or Peptide product.
- Apply your moisturizer to any dry areas.
- In the AM use a tinted moisturizer with SPF to protect your skin from sun damage.
- Every 3 days replace your usage of a Vitamin C serum or Peptide product with a Glycolic acid product to reduce dead skin cell buildup.
- Once a week perform a deep cleaning mask containing anti-aging Vitamin C.
Combination Skin Anti-Aging Shopping List:
- Thesis Beauty Cleanser – affordable and gentle, it will clean your skin and last a long time.
- Odacite Neroli and Rose Toner – for use on the whole face.
- Retseliney Oily Control Toner – with salicylic acid. For use on areas where you have breakouts.
- Kypris Antioxidant Dew Water-Based Serum – use in the day.
- Dr Alkaitis Day Cream Moisturizer – for dry skin areas.
- InstaNatural Glycolic Acid Cream – use every 3 days in place of vitamin c serum.
- Teva Organic Peptide Serum – rotate usage with Vitamin C serum.
- May Lindstrom Clean Dirt Mask – use once a week, contains Vitamin C.
- My Skin’s Friend Vitamin C Serum – use at night.
- ILIA Tinted Sunscreen – use every day – this one is a tinted moisturizer, so it can replace your moisturizer during the day (I like tinted sunscreens because then my face doesn’t look pale and white).
A Note About Retinol ( A Very Potent Anti-Aging Compound)
Retinol is a vitamin A derivative that speeds up cell turnover, gets rid of dullness-causing dead skin cells, and stimulates cellular repair, thus boosting collagen and elastin. It is a very potent anti-aging ingredient that offers real results. The problem with Retinol is that it causes your skin to become more sensitive to UV radiation, and it cannot be used when you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
EWG’s Skin Deep Database gives retinol a very high hazard rating, stating that it is photomutagenic and can cause cancer when exposed to UV light. There is some controversy over this conclusion, with many dermatologists claiming it is not true. You can read this article for more info on the retinoid controversy.
I personally don’t use retinoids, as I feel the risks out-way the benefits. I instead use antioxidant rich plant oils, Vitamin C, and exfoliating enzymes (I like Kypris’ Moonlight Catalyst). If you are going to use a retinoid, only use it at night and be diligent about using a sunscreen during the day.
If you choose to use a retinol product, use it before your moisturizer. If you find it too irritating, use your moisturizer first so it can act as a buffer. For a natural alternative to synthetic retinoids, try Kypris Beauty’s Moonlight Catalyst.
Articles and Product Reviews:
- Glycolic Acid Skin Benefits
- Vitamin C Serum Face Benefits : Proven Results
- The Importance Of Sun Protection for Anti-Aging
- Thesis Beauty Foaming Face Wash Review
- Kypris Beauty Antioxidant Dew Review
- May Lindstrom The Clean Dirt Review
- ILIA Tinted Moisturizer Review
- Odacite Divine Rose & Neroli Balancing Toner Review
- Kypris Beauty Moonlight Catalyst Review
Leave any questions you have in the comments below 🙂 We always answer!