Have you heard of Raspberry seed oil? If not you are in for a pleasant surprise about this plant’s skin benefits.
I love raspberries, I have a nice big patch growing by my house. I always know summer is coming to an end when we go out and pick our raspberries.
It was only recently that I learned about the skin benefits of raspberry seed oil. It doesn’t surprise me that this relative of roses would have such amazing skin benefits. I was reading about natural sun protection oils and learned that red raspberry seed oil can have a SPF as high as 50!
7 Fantastic Raspberry Seed oil benefits for the skin:
1. It is loaded with Vitamin E
Red Raspberry seed oil has a high Vitamin E content:
- Alpha Tocopherol: 12.6mg/100g
- Gamma Tocopherol: 19.4mg/100g
Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant, it reduces skin damage and mops up free radicals that contribute to skin-aging.
2. It has natural sun protection
A study done in the year 2000 showed that red raspberry seed oil has UV protection comparable to titanium dioxide. It found that raspberry seed oil can shield against UVA induced damage by scattering as well as absorption. The SPF value was found to be 28-50 for UVB rays, and 6.75 – 7.5 for UVA rays. UVB rays are the rays that cause sunburn. UVA rays are what contribute to aging and skin cancer.
Until more studies are done, Raspberry seed oil should not replace your sunscreen, but it is an excellent oil to use under your daily sunscreen.
3. Packed with carotenoids (vitamin A)
The carotenoid content of red raspberry seed oil is 23 mg/100 g of oil.
Carotenoids are strong antioxidants that play a crucial role in the health of our skin. They inhibit UV damage and stimulate cell repair.
4. 83 % Essential Fatty Acids
Red raspberry seed oil contains a high amount of Omega-6 and Omega-3 essential fatty acids with Linoleic acid (omega 6) being 52-56% and Alpha-linolenic acid (omega 3) at 29-33%.
5. Linoleic acid
This fatty acid is anti-inflammatory, regenerates cells, brings moisture to the skin and gives the oil a light consistency.
6. Contains ellagic acid
Present in red raspberry seed oil, this compound has been shown to reduce the destruction of collagen as well as protecting against Ultraviolet damage from the sun (source). It may also prevent skin cancer.
Their antioxidant activity prevents skin damage, encourages healthy skin growth and may protect against cancer. They encourage new collagen production, leading to healthier, younger-looking skin.
8. Bonus Benefit – It is Anti-inflammatory
Red raspberry seed oil has been shown to have exceptional anti-inflammatory properties that are superior to avocado oil, grapeseed oil, hazelnut oil, and wheat germ oil (source).
Try this oil out for yourself
This Oil is Fantastic for the Skin
- Effectively moisturizes the skin, improves elasticity, reduces wrinkles and fine lines.
- Regenerates skin cells.
- Has a strong antioxidant content, reducing and repairing damage from the sun and the elements.
- Has a long shelf of 2 years.
- Heals, strengthens and conditions the hair and scalp.
- Prevents moisture loss in the hair, adds shine.
- Helps mend split ends.
Red Raspberry Seed Oil is Useful For
- Itchy or scaly skin
- Acne or blemished skin
- Irritated skin
- Baby skin
- DIY recipes such as lotions, soaps, skin and hair care.
How to Use Red Raspberry Seed Oil
- FOR FACE: Use a few drops morning and night. It is a non-greasy and non-oily moisturizer that absorbs very well. Mix a few drops with your makeup remover or facial cream. Add some to your face masks or lip balms.
- FOR HAIR: Add 2-3 drops to your shampoo or conditioner or just use a few drops on your ends or scalp.
- FOR BODY: Mix a few drops with your body lotion, sunscreen, or bath or shower gel. Use a few drops mixed into your body oil, or use it on its own as a body oil.
Raspberry seed oil is a potent skin healer. It is anti-inflammatory, hydrating and protecting. If you are looking to get your hands on some, then I have a recommendation for you. This is an excellent quality oil that I have had the pleasure of using. It has an amazingly subtle, sweet scent. The company that makes it specializes in Red Raspberry Seed oil and they process the oil in small batches a few times a year to make sure that you are getting a potent product.
What do you think about red raspberry seed oil? Do you have any DIY recipes to share?
Yours In Beauty,